Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: alfa 500mw + 9dbi Wireless = Problem With me??

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    But you'd be making a homemade antenna of dubious quality out of crap coax.

I guess I was just brought up with the idea that there's no sense in doing something unless it's done right.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    What's this foam bat shit? Use a wooden one! Preferably with old rusty nails in it.
    Health and Safety stole my toys *weep*
    ---------

OSX 10.6
    Advent Vega (Tegra 250)

Working on getting BT5 working on the Vega

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    But you'd be making a homemade antenna of dubious quality out of crap coax.

I guess I was just brought up with the idea that there's no sense in doing something unless it's done right.
    there is no coax involved in the antenna, and the quality is excellent as I have stated. I was also brought up with the idea that there's no sense in doing something unless it's done right. that is why I did it right.

Quote Originally Posted by driller View Post
    there is no coax involved in the antenna, and the quality is excellent as I have stated. I was also brought up with the idea that there's no sense in doing something unless it's done right. that is why I did it right.
    He was talking about the coax between the base and your wireless card. The crap that comes with cheap ass antennas is also junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneiroi View Post
    Health and Safety stole my toys *weep*
    Yea, they are the same people that require an alcohol swab before a lethal injection...
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

[QUOTE=Barry;93224]He was talking about the coax between the base and your wireless card. The crap that comes with cheap ass antennas is also junk.

you are concentrating too much on what he has said, and nothing of what I have said. There is no coax as it is an alfa card with a direct RP-SMA connection, as I have already posted. if you have no idea about a particular subject and you do not read previous posts, it is best practice not to comment on them.

Quote Originally Posted by driller View Post
    He was talking about the coax between the base and your wireless card. The crap that comes with cheap ass antennas is also junk.
    you are concentrating too much on what he has said, and nothing of what I have said. There is no coax as it is an alfa card with a direct RP-SMA connection, as I have already posted. if you have no idea about a particular subject and you do not read previous posts, it is best practice not to comment on them.
    Well, YOU have interjected into this thread with details of YOUR card and antenna (this is known as "hijacking"). All Barry was indicating was that the antenna that the OP mentioned has a cheap coax cable permanently attached to the antenna, affecting performance. If you want people to admire your antenna, then open a new thread - don't hijack one belonging to someone else.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

[QUOTE=driller;93226]

you could do what I did and use the base of the faulty antenna (RP-SMA) with your alfa too make a homemade bi-quad antenna which in my opinion is an excellent antenna
    From this amazingly detailed description and the included pictures of course, we should have known what you were talking about.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Guys, chill

I did some tests with my 2dbi and 9dbi antennas to see if the 9dbi antenna is worth something. Airodump-ng has been run twice, each time with a different antenna attached to my Alfa. In 60 seconds the 9dbi one listed 45 access points while the 2dbi listed 38. Also, the 9dbi antenna listed the power of some random access point at 40 while the 2dbi showed it at 35. Clearly there is some minor increase.

Quote Originally Posted by xCPPx View Post
    Guys, chill

I did some tests with my 2dbi and 9dbi antennas to see if the 9dbi antenna is worth something. Airodump-ng has been run twice, each time with a different antenna attached to my Alfa. In 60 seconds the 9dbi one listed 45 access points while the 2dbi listed 38. Also, the 9dbi antenna listed the power of some random access point at 40 while the 2dbi showed it at 35. Clearly there is some minor increase.
    Although the power readings provided by the cards and read and displayed by airodump-ng leave a lot to be desired in terms of accuracy, an increase of "5" is fairly significant, since there is a 7 dB difference in gain between the two antennas.

You might want to try running Netstumbler (or equivalent - something that records peak power and connections) for an hour for each antenna, and monitor the total number of APs and their peak powers. The increased time period will help reduce the ambiguity in the test.

Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    Although the power readings provided by the cards and read and displayed by airodump-ng leave a lot to be desired in terms of accuracy, an increase of "5" is fairly significant, since there is a 7 dB difference in gain between the two antennas.

You might want to try running Netstumbler (or equivalent - something that records peak power and connections) for an hour for each antenna, and monitor the total number of APs and their peak powers. The increased time period will help reduce the ambiguity in the test.
    Just make sure you use a supported card.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast