Thread: help on: WinXP + BT with OSL2000 bootloader?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question help on: WinXP + BT with OSL2000 bootloader?

Hi,

is there someone who is able to give me some tips on how to do this?

I like to keep my WinXP install with its two partitions and free some space (about 4gb) for installing Backtrack.

Do I need to use a partition resizer under linux or can i use partition magic, cute partition manager or simular for resizing and make partitions for backtrack?

I also like to use OSL2000 bootloader to manage my boots.
    I dont want that linux is booting from MBR !!!

Tell me if i understand the installation procedure correctly, I create 3 partitions as backtrack needs, and then run the live CD so i can install backtrack from CD via KDE->System->BackTrack Installer.

Wil this work?

all information is welcome.
    Thanks in advance for all reply's.

Regards,
    Vaako

Quote Originally Posted by Vaako View Post
    Do I need to use a partition resizer under linux or can i use partition magic, cute partition manager or simular for resizing and make partitions for backtrack?
    You can use partition magic or any other partitioning program to split/resize your current partition(s). If the program itself does not support for example ext3, or the filesystem that you wish to use in Linux, you can later on simply convert the already created partition to the correct filesystem using for example parted.

I also like to use OSL2000 bootloader to manage my boots.
    I dont want that linux is booting from MBR !!!
    I have my lilo installed to the partition, not the MBR, and use an additional bootloader (Acronis OS Selector) installed to the MBR. Using this approach I still needed to install lilo as well as the Acronis bootloader otherwise would not detect the OS at all.

Tell me if i understand the installation procedure correctly, I create 3 partitions as backtrack needs, and then run the live CD so i can install backtrack from CD via KDE->System->BackTrack Installer.
    I have my HDD partitioned into 4 parts, only one of which are dedicated to BT3. The installation procedure that you describe is correct, and there are several excellent step-by-step guides on how to actually do this posted on the forum.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the exilent reply!
    Can you tell me why you have made 4 partitions for BT3?

Thanks in advance for your awnser

regards,
    Vaako

Quote Originally Posted by Vaako View Post
    Thanks for the exilent reply!
    Can you tell me why you have made 4 partitions for BT3?
    I have one partition for Windows XP, one for OSX, one for BT3F and an additional data partition. As I clearly stated in the last post only one of the partitions are for BT3:
    I have my HDD partitioned into 4 parts, only one of which are dedicated to BT3

Just burned his ISO

Hi =TRON=

U use only one patition for installing BT3?

If you make a partition for BT3 it requires 3 partitions on its own I think.

1. BOOT prartition
    2. SWAP partition
    3. Program partition

How do you manage to do this with only one partition?

Also I like to now how you can install Lilo without its writing to MBR, if you write changes it writes to the MBR automaticaly.
    Is there a how-to on this, becourse i cant find it ;-(

Thanks,
    Vaako

I followed this tutorial to install BT3F to my HDD:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=14751
    From the tutorial i completely skipped the following steps:
    Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    If your swap is not yet made then do this..(otherwise omit this step)
    bt~#mkswap /dev/sda2
    bt~#swapon /dev/sda2

bt~#mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/backtrack/boot/ (note: If you only have one partiton to install backtrack to simply omit this step)
    As far as I can remember I followed the tutorial to the dot apart from these minor changes and have BT3 up and running just fine without an additional swap and boot partition. However you might want to consider including a swap partition unless you have a lot of RAM available.