Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bt3 not finding my USB ath5007UG wireless card

Just burned his ISO

Default Bt3 not finding my USB ath5007UG wireless card

Ok so im real new at this so please be patient with me...

I have Bt3beta on a usb stick, downloading the final now and going to put that on the usb stick instead. Allready cracked my wep network using a client and the intel3945 wireless card installed in my laptop had to load the ipwraw drivers and it worked like a charm.

I read atheros cards are much better, I was fishing through my box of electronic junk and found an old usb wireless dongle from a few years ago, lo and behold its an atheros one, Atheros 5007UG.

I want to use this card as it would make learning and following a lot of the tuts much easier here. So when I load BT3 up and type airmon-ng it finds wlan0 which is the internal intel card, but never the usb one.

This is prob more a linux than bt3 question and I apologize but how do I get Bt3 to recognize this card? Is there a way of modifying the usb installation to have the drivers on it, or is there some other way?

Thanks!

The madwifi drivers (used for atheros chipset's) do not support usb.

This is documented on their site.

other people are gonna start thinking i work for gigabyte or somthin but if you want that chipset i would replace the internal card with this: http://www.oxfordtec.com/uk/MiniPCI-...duct_info.html

I used to use the alfa alot but now I got this card its all I need and much easyer being internal.
    Don't discount Windows, I would be a poor man without it ;)

Thanks for the link to that card. I ordered one to add to the second miniPCI slot in my XPS M1330. There are extra antenna cables in the chasis, but I'll have to see if they work. Thanks again.
    "Whatever happened to playing a hunch, Scully? The element of surprise, random acts of unpredictability? If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

Just burned his ISO

It was not that chipset I cared about.

So the simple answer is that I cant use the usb wifi dongle to do this kind of stuff right?

Quote Originally Posted by Raysoc View Post
    It was not that chipset I cared about.

So the simple answer is that I cant use the usb wifi dongle to do this kind of stuff right?
    Not if it is atheros based

Just burned his ISO

My laptop apparently has a ExpressCard/34 card slot, would that GIGABYTE GN-WS50G 802.11 b/g Atheros AR5007 chipset minicard mPCI express card be the best card then if I want to start learning this stuff? As thats a pretty cheap card, any idea if there is a Canadian or US retailer that sells it?

The intel card inside has worked thus far but I always have to load the ipwraw drivers and because all the terminology changes from the tuts its harder to follow.

Thanks!

Here is a USA Link http://www.oxfordtec.com/us/p149/GIG...duct_info.html

If you can fit it in your laptop I think it would be the most tidy and simple way. And like mentioned alot of the guides you see are made by people using mad wifi drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Raysoc View Post
    My laptop apparently has a ExpressCard/34 card slot, would that GIGABYTE GN-WS50G 802.11 b/g Atheros AR5007 chipset minicard mPCI express card be the best card then if I want to start learning this stuff? As thats a pretty cheap card, any idea if there is a Canadian or US retailer that sells it?

The intel card inside has worked thus far but I always have to load the ipwraw drivers and because all the terminology changes from the tuts its harder to follow.

Thanks!
    I think I get what you're asking, but just to make super clear before you buy anything...

... the GIGABYTE GN-WS50G is a miniPCIe card that would be installed within the chasis of your laptop. Like this:

And an ExpressCard would fit into a slot on the outside of you laptop's chasis, like this:

If I'm being anal, I apologize. Just wanted to be sure.
    "Whatever happened to playing a hunch, Scully? The element of surprise, random acts of unpredictability? If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

Yeah that gigabyte card fits internally ( the first pic )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast