Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Testing e-mail passwords....

True_DyNaSTy27

Exclamation Testing e-mail passwords....

So I decided to get BT last week and I must say this is an amazing OS.I never new something like this could exist FREE!!! Now I have been able to secure my wireless network, and computer...However I do have one problem :/.Someone has been able to crack a couple of my e-mail accounts (Gmail,and Lycos) as well as my facebook account.I change my passwords monthly,monitor my DD-WRT network, and I'm the only one who uses this computer.I do know it's someone I know because I keep on getting e-mails from myself saying "HAHA", or "You will never catch me!".So instead of trying to catch him I would like to know how he does it.Can anyone help me out and tell me if Back Track offerers such tools, and if so what tools, and maby some how too's or links that can point me in the rite direction?

Of course I will be practicing on my own accounts...

Thanks ahead of time everyone for the help!

NOTE: I am relatively new to BT so I'm not quite fimiliar with all the tools, and utility's.

Most likely someone has got hold of your password either through shoulder-surfing or by intercepting your internet traffic at some public hotspot or your own wireless network, for example using ettercap which is included in BT3.

It is highly unlikely that he has got your password by actually "hacking" your hotmail account. Simply change your password before he does it for you and locks you out of your own account. Also, trying to actually hack your own hotmail account is illegal as you would effectively be trying to hack the actual hotmail service and not only your own private account.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by True_DyNaSTy27 View Post
    So I decided to get BT last week and I must say this is an amazing OS.I never new something like this could exist FREE!!! Now I have been able to secure my wireless network, and computer...However I do have one problem :/.Someone has been able to crack a couple of my e-mail accounts (Gmail,and Lycos) as well as my facebook account.I change my passwords monthly,monitor my DD-WRT network, and I'm the only one who uses this computer.I do know it's someone I know because I keep on getting e-mails from myself saying "HAHA", or "You will never catch me!".So instead of trying to catch him I would like to know how he does it.Can anyone help me out and tell me if Back Track offerers such tools, and if so what tools, and maby some how too's or links that can point me in the rite direction?

Of course I will be practicing on my own accounts...

Thanks ahead of time everyone for the help!

NOTE: I am relatively new to BT so I'm not quite fimiliar with all the tools, and utility's.

Good show, never seen this one before.
    You know how to install dd-wrt on a router yet you never knew that someone could "hack" your email account.
    Well if it is a serious account then you would probably need something better than hotmail. Same as facebook.

I would suggest and easier method would be to change email accounts in general. Write all of your contacts and tell them that you have a new address and to send all other emails from your old address to /dev/null.

Now here is where you will have a hard time, you will most likely claim to not have the contacts anywhere else but said email accounts. This would bring to mind the word back-up.

Also as a suggestion you could contact the admins' of these systems and tell them your story. I am not sure of hotmail but with some mail services when you sign up you can use another email account in case you get locked out.
    This might be true with facebook and the others.

Sorry, and good luck
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

True_DyNaSTy27

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Most likely someone has got hold of your password either through shoulder-surfing or by intercepting your internet traffic at some public hotspot or your own wireless network, for example using ettercap which is included in BT3.

It is highly unlikely that he has got your password by actually "hacking" your hotmail account. Simply change your password before he does it for you and locks you out of your own account. Also, trying to actually hack your own hotmail account is illegal as you would effectively be trying to hack the actual hotmail service and not only your own private account.
    I really don't think that anyone has been able to crack my network due to the fact that I'm constantly monitoring the network.If someone did I believe that I would end up noticing.Also I have changed my GMAIL, and lycos passwords a couple of times now and still whoever it is, is able to comprise the accounts.As for my passwords I am using a relitivly complex series of numbers, letters, and symbols so if the person was trying to brute force the account they would have a difficult time.

I must say whoever is comprising my accounts is having some fun because there starting to leave clues as to who they are.

So is there a way for me to learn whatever this person is dueing legally???

Physical access to your computer or malware of some kind seem the most likely answers.

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    Physical access to your computer or malware of some kind seem the most likely answers.
    My thoughts exactly. Tasty keylogger perhaps???

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

What's that smell? Oh, it's SE. Nevermind.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

True_DyNaSTy27

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    I don't think it could be a keylogger due to the fact that I am the only one who has physical access to my computers.I sure as hell don't let anyone touch my 4gig macbook pro, and same goes for my acer aspire 9300 which I might also say that is a piece of crap but whatever because it's handy for when I need to use windows....
    As for malware (which is what I thought it might be at first) I have done countless scans to my computers so unless I'm not picking up something then that rules that out.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by True_DyNaSTy27 View Post
    As for malware (which is what I thought it might be at first) I have done countless scans to my computers so unless I'm not picking up something then that rules that out.
    People come up with new stuff everyday the malware you probably have is FUD so no anti-virus can detect it yet

Another possibility is that a person got into your pc (use nmap to scan ip (they can get your ip from anywhere and simple php script in a link that you clicked on can get your ip)and then use metaexploit to then run an exploit against what you found) from there they could have to put a backdoor in your network so they have access to it anytime they want and from there it's quite easy getting and decrypting browser passwords and all other stuff. Change all your network passwords and your pc passwords. Also try closing all ports on your router or even getting rid of it. If they sill get it try formatting (just C).

True_DyNaSTy27

Quote Originally Posted by Korupt View Post
    People come up with new stuff everyday the malware you probably have is FUD so no anti-virus can detect it yet

Another possibility is that a person got into your pc (use nmap to scan ip (they can get your ip from anywhere and simple php script in a link that you clicked on can get your ip)and then use metaexploit to then run an exploit against what you found) from there they could have to put a backdoor in your network so they have access to it anytime they want and from there it's quite easy getting and decrypting browser passwords and all other stuff. Change all your network passwords and your pc passwords. Also try closing all ports on your router or even getting rid of it. If they sill get it try formatting (just C).
    Ok I do normally change my computer passwords about every other month but I just changed it as well as my network passwords so hopefully that will work.Just two questions then, If I close all my ports on my routers then wont I have issues with bandwidth, and connections i.e. I have a fon router with a repeater function connected to my xbox360 (ugh Microsoft)?2nd is BT capable of dueing these things????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast