Thread: Acer Aspire One, Wireless problem?

Just burned his ISO

Smile Acer Aspire One, Wireless problem?

Hi All,

Received my lovely new Acer 2 weeks back. I've booted Backtrack from my Usb stick and works a treat.....apart from the wireless. Dam!!

I have read many post over the last few weeks within the wireless section and tried all possible senario's but the bloody thing wont work.

It uses the Atheros chipset. There is a slider on the front of the laptop to enable the wireless and this does not light up.

Any help would be magic!!

Cheers.

Thumbs up

Enable the wireless switch before booting the BT3.which atheros chipset its uses and which Wireless NIC its having?

Quote Originally Posted by Solaar View Post
    Hi All,

Received my lovely new Acer 2 weeks back. I've booted Backtrack from my Usb stick and works a treat.....apart from the wireless. Dam!!

I have read many post over the last few weeks within the wireless section and tried all possible senario's but the bloody thing wont work.

It uses the Atheros chipset. There is a slider on the front of the laptop to enable the wireless and this does not light up.

Any help would be magic!!

Cheers.
    The wireless, as well as the bluetooth, switch on most Acer laptops are software and not hardware controlled. Because of this the advice given by secure it will most likely not help you and what you need is the appropriate software to interpret the signal from the hardware switch and enable your card. I do not have any experience of your specific model but most likely this program is worth checking out:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/acerhk/
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the replies!

I have tried both. Secure it - this does not work as the os needs to be loaded before the switch is activated.

Tron - Great solution although I cannot get it to work as I dont think I am installing the driver to the correct location - usr/local/src/acer - acer being the folder I created my self. I get a message saying serveral directories do not exist and access denied even though I am installing as root.

Very new with with Linux and just picking it up as I go. Any help much appreciated as were or how to install this!!!

Many Thanks,

Solaar.

In BT3 wireless drivers are already loaded for me on the Aspire One, using the MadWifi drivers.

I must admit I have only used it for WPA and WEP related Pen Testing, so not actually used it for normal connections, I boot into Linpus when not in Pen Testing mode.

Quote Originally Posted by daleapearson View Post
    In BT3 wireless drivers are already loaded for me on the Aspire One, using the MadWifi drivers.

I must admit I have only used it for WPA and WEP related Pen Testing, so not actually used it for normal connections, I boot into Linpus when not in Pen Testing mode.
    At least this would confirm that the laptop does not have a software controlled switch for the wireless interface, which means that the suggestion I mentioned in my previous post isn’t needed.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Default Acer aspire One... no lights on but every body home!

With my Acer One (110) it all boots up ok from usb stick , the wireless light doesnt come on but it still works brill! Im still smiling after loading Spoonwep2.....got so much spare time now Im having to chase women and drink beer
    Thank to every one there!