Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What else can I do with Backtrack?

Default What else can I do with Backtrack?

Hey guys,
    I took a break from backtrack and these forums for quiet sometime, you probably might not remember me but all of you have been so helpful in helping me understand linux, and networking. So first off I would like to thank all of the forum administrators, moderators, and everybody else sharing knowledge on these forums. I'd like to extend special thanks to pureh@te and shamanvirtuel, your help, kindness, and intellectuality has helped me in great amounts when I first started using backtrack. So to get back on track (no pun intended) I took a break from backtrack for a couple months and studied, and as well as used Slax. Slax was very user friendly, and beginner linux posts all over helped me to understand that distro inside and out. I ran that as my main OS for awhile, then I went on to re-learn backtrack, and used that as my main OS. I studied hard. First off I'd like all of those who contribute to knowledge on these forums, especially the administrators, and moderators to know that your teachings and information did not go unused, or unappreciated, for I finally cracked my own WEP last night all through the terminal whilst understanding every command I used. It was so much fun I did it a second time, and a third time making my WEP key more complex to crack everytime. So, my question is...

What else can I do with bactrack besides cracking WEP and WPA?
    What other pentesting can I do on my system?

thankyou everybody for all of your help, kindness, and support. I appreciate it greatly.

Oh my gosh....did you read a little bit in this forum, e.g. the tutorial section, or do you know what "search" means??
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by kooze View Post
    What else can I do with bactrack besides cracking WEP and WPA?
    What other pentesting can I do on my system?

thankyou everybody for all of your help, kindness, and support. I appreciate it greatly.
    I can safely say that you have barely scraped the surface of what is possible to do using the tools included in BackTrack. I think that the best way for you to extend your knowledge of the different tools would be to take some time to look in the tutorials section and see if you can find anything that interest you. And believe me you will find plenty

The menu in BT does also gives a pretty good insight into what the purpose of the different tools are as it is clearly divided into several sub-menus. Most of the tools also have man pages that will give you a lot of information about the purpose and abilities of the tools. Just use the command man followed by the name of the tool to access the man page.

My personal tip for you and guess of what you probably would find interesting is the different tools for network sniffing, as wireshark, ettercap, dsniff with mail- msg- and urlsnarf as well as driftnet. These tools will allow you to examine as well as manipulate the network traffic between the AP and other connected clients.

Best of luck with your continuing research and remember that the best way to learn is the hands-on approach, in other words actually try out the tools for yourself and don't be afraid to make mistakes.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Have a quick search for de-ice and then perhaps you may get some small insight into 1% of the possibilities that are contained within the world of backtrack.

Not meaning to sound sarcastic at all.

Step 1) Boot backtrack, pick a randomapplication from the lists, try and work out what it does on your own, then use the wiki for what it really does, then try to apply it to something in your own home network to do something cool.

Step 2) Until you have tried every application..... return to step one
    wtf?

Default thankyou!

Thank you everyone, everything you directed me towards looks very interesting. Looks like im hittin the web-books, and going to study hard. I'm very interested in programming as well. I figured i'd start with bash.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii67 View Post
    Oh my gosh....did you read a little bit in this forum, e.g. the tutorial section, or do you know what "search" means??
    That is totally unnecessary and quite honestly rude. He did not ask for you to be a smart ass, he asked for help finding new avenues of study. If you don't have anything more constructive than "use search" in relation to his original question(s), then leave the posting to those willing to actually help him....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by Munkey106 View Post
    as long as it's on YOUR network.

don't do anything stupid.

i suggest starting out with EtherAPE and Autoscan and learn afew things BEFORE you jump right into ettercap.

you can and should do what you want though

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    That is totally unnecessary and quite honestly rude. He did not ask for you to be a smart ass, he asked for help finding new avenues of study. If you don't have anything more constructive than "use search" in relation to his original question(s), then leave the posting to those willing to actually help him....
    Keep your shirt on ShadowKill. There's no need to offend me.
    Maybe it was a little bit harsh I admit but I wasn't derogatory. I think researching independently instead of being spoonfed and trying to find out on your own aren't too great demands since the question "What else can I do with Backtrack?" sounds rather rhetorical to me and since there are a myriad of good tutorials, manuals and HOW-TOs available here in this forum. It should be easy to elicit all the interesting features and tools b|t offers.
    Anyway, no offense kooze! If you have a really specific question I'll always be pleased to help.
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast