Thread: Creating a Knoppix virtual machine?

Just burned his ISO

Question Creating a Knoppix virtual machine?

Hey everyone, I have a question and hopefully someone out there has somewhat of an answer. OK, I have a mac, I am using VMware fusion (virtual machine) and running backtrack 3 live CD ISO. So my problem is that my USB wireless adapter isn't supported so I download the Linux drivers and try to place them in the :/lib/firmware/ folder BUT I have 0kb of space in there meaning zero space for system modifying. Also every time I restart the virtual machine all of my changes are wiped away and everything is back to default, which is understandable now that I know that I can't change any system settings, files, anything. So basically what I am asking is if somehow I can install Linux and get system space and be able to modify files, my password, desktop background, etc. without it reverting to default everytime i restart my virtual machine. instead of just booting from the ISO every time?

Thanks So much for your time, and if you have any idea on how to do this, please tell me, I would really like to use BT3 as a personalized OS.

Just burned his ISO

Please, Anyone?

I don't know much about MAC's running VM but it almost sounds like you have the BT CD in the CD/DVD room and your starting the VM And its booting straight from the CD. Have you tried to install BT from the CD to the VM machine yet ??

Just burned his ISO

Um... No, how might you do that? My VMware Fusion that I am using is just like windows VMware, it is made by the same people so the features and everything are the same so since you probably only know windows and might be familiar with their VMware you can sorta guide me through what you would do in my situation.

Just burned his ISO

Please, Anyone?

Just burned his ISO

I use VMware fusion also (on an iMac)

Download the VMware edition of BT3. Open it with VMware Fusion and enjoy. It's really that simple. (...and you can save changes...)

Just burned his ISO

Wow, Could point me in a direction like a file name, download link, search keywords, a link, anything?

Quote Originally Posted by saitek12300 View Post
    Wow, Could point me in a direction like a file name, download link, search keywords, a link, anything?
    The VMware image can be found on the same download site as the USB and CD version of BackTrack3 Final:
    http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack_download.html
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

the download is on the official site right below the cd iso you already downloaded

http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack_download.html

Just burned his ISO

ok, thank you guys so much for all of your help with all of this!