Thread: How to disabled the /root/Desktop folder" ?

Hybrid View

Default How to disabled the /root/Desktop folder" ?

It keeps comming back when I delete it. I "disabled" it from showing up on the desktop; it doesn't show on the background but it is present if you browse a terminal to /root. How do I prevent it from respawning? Do I need cheatcodes or will a very powerful sniper do?

Quote Originally Posted by elninio View Post
    It keeps comming back when I delete it. I "disabled" it from showing up on the desktop; it doesn't show on the background but it is present if you browse a terminal to /root. How do I prevent it from respawning? Do I need cheatcodes or will a very powerful sniper do?
    Pardon my question, but why exactly are you attempting to get rid of this directory in the first place?
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Pardon my question, but why exactly are you attempting to get rid of this directory in the first place?
    I was wondering the same thing. Though I think, if you never want that folder to respawn, delete it and then never use a window manager again. I've never seen an os that didn't have a "User Name"/Desktop folder.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. Though I think, if you never want that folder to respawn, delete it and then never use a window manager again. I've never seen an os that didn't have a "User Name"/Desktop folder.
    Exactly, just as a sidenote to the OP the folder is not a directory that will show up on the desktop, it is the folder containing the contents of the actual desktop for the root user.

I use KDE , but heavily rely on consoles. I have files in my root folder and the Desktop folder is just taking up space, if I remove this one folder, when I do ls, it will show the files i need to see on 2 lines instead of 3. I never use the Desktop folder, and I don't use the desktop.

I use KDE , but heavily rely on consoles. I have files in my root folder and the Desktop folder is just taking up space, if I remove this one folder, when I do ls, it will show the files i need to see on 2 lines instead of 3. I never use the Desktop folder, and I don't use the desktop.
    Exactly how much space do you think that an empty folder takes up?

Doesn't matter hardrive space, it takes up screen space, and its annoying, it shouldn't be a milestone to disable this. What if I'm against the desktop folder? What if my religion commands be to remove all desktop folders on the systems I use!?!?

Doesn't matter hardrive space, it takes up screen space, and its annoying, it shouldn't be a milestone to disable this. What if I'm against the desktop folder? What if my religion commands be to remove all desktop folders on the systems I use!?!?
    As Barry already said it is most likely your window manager that keeps re-creating the folder as it needs it. If you only want to stop this from happening you might want to boot into text only mode instead of using KDE.

In Linux it is also possible to hide directories simply by placing a period in as the first character in the name. You could try renaming the /root/Desktop folder to /root/.Desktop and see if it will still be created at startup or if the hidden one will suffice for KDE. The hidden directory will then only use up your precious screen space if you use the command ls -a instead of ls.

Thanks, =Tron=. Yes, it is quite precious when I have like 6 shells open per desktop, I also have 5 desktops. I do alot of coding so while stuff gets built I need other shells to build more stuff.