Thread: Acer Aspire One

I got my lovely new Acer Aspire One on Wednesday with a few things in mind.
    I wanted a small, ultra portable netbook that was easy to carry. I can use BT but I am by no means a Linux guru, infact I am more of a noob, so thought go the SD route for more stability, and also go Open Source all the way and learn more Unix stuff (you never know I might become a convert). Finally I thought I could run BT3 on this either by USB, SD or maybe even my primary OS for pentesting related tasks I carry out in my job.

So that was the boring bit done. So I thought I am sure others will get an Aspire One, and also want to use it to get BT3 running on it.

So I am trying but its not working, so thought perhaps this could be a support document thread.

Ok so I boot up of the USB, log in, type startx, screen flashes black then I see the following:

Current Operating System: Linux bt 2.6.21.5 #4 SMP Thur Apr 10 04:23:56 GMT 2008
    i686
    Build Date: 09 May 2007
    Before reporting problems, check wiki
    to make sure that you have the latest version.
    Module Loader present
    Makers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
    (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implented, (??) unknown.
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Jul 18 22:37:44 2008
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    (WW) intel: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:1) found
    (II) Module already built-in
    (EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such file or directory)
    (EE) intel(0): Could'nt allocate video memory

Fatal server error:
    AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

giving up
    xinit: Connection reset by peer (errno 104): unable to connect to X server
    xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error

So any suggestions / instructions on first things to try?
    Thanks in advance.

Quick update, if you boot with option BT3 Graphics mode (Versa KDE) it seems to work on the Aspire One.

Still need to check the tools though.

Grabbed the WPA Handshake no probs with the inbuilt Atheros card.
    Seeming to have issues regarding WEP, so tried my trusty Alfa, things looked good but getting all sorts of kernal errors when under load.

So its not really a working solution for me at the moment, which is a shame really.

just wanna ask why you chose the acer over one of the higher EEE laptops?
    Don't discount Windows, I would be a poor man without it ;)

Quote Originally Posted by johnyt View Post
    just wanna ask why you chose the acer over one of the higher EEE laptops?
    Seems like the biggest differences between the Eee PC 901 and the Acer One would be HDD space and battery life. The Acer packs a mechanical 80Gb HDD whereas the Eee only has a 20Gb solid state drive. The battery on the Acer seems to be pretty poor, reviews state that the 2200mAh battery that comes with the Acer simply sucks, as it will not be able to give you more than 2 hours tops. The Eee PC on the other hand comes with a 6600mAh battery that should give you roughly 4 hours without the need of plugging in the power cord.

On the other hand the Acer is considerably cheaper than the Eee PC 901 and I personally think it looks nicer as well.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Im more tempted to go with the asus 901 i've been a fanboy since the a7n8x deluxe I bought. The battery life is probably the most important I already use my 701 in the field as I can't drive it's ideal. From what i've seen with the 901 your able to get at the wifi card quite easy to change it. Shame the 20gb version is out of reach here in the UK at the moment, might wait till Im in Hong Kong to buy one my wife could use it as well then
    Don't discount Windows, I would be a poor man without it ;)

I went for the Aspire One for a few reasons.
    The first one being the price, at just over £200 its a cracking bit of kit for the money, it also looks nice . I went for the 8GB Solid State drive, and have the option of using the expanision drive for more.

Its a great spec, and I get 2.5 hours out of the standard battery.

All in all I am happy, just need to get things functioning how I want.

Just burned his ISO

From as far as I've got the video memory should expand as necessary (linpus seems happily running with compiz + full res) unfortunately it appears as though this doesn't seem to be happening with the default setup of backtrack. I've tried installing to the SDD and copying the linpus xorg.conf but still no luck so far. (I did do the install from the kde vesa option though, not sure if that makes a difference!)

Just burned his ISO

Try to use IEGD to get a 1024x600 resolution

You just need to modify the samsung 1024x600 and select 945gme chipset
    save it then create a package. Copy the package to a disk and extract it to acer aspireone. Check the directories of the installer. Can't remember if the executable mode is enabled but I'm sure people could find that out.

Just burned his ISO

kanto,

can you lead me through the steps, i don't have a clue about linux and am trying to get the aa1 working with bt3.

Hey guys I just bought the Acer aspire One 11.6" model and I'm running BT3 and BT4 off of the SD slot on the side of the laptop with an 8 Gig OCZ 150X card and it runs great, you can still run another os in your main HD if needed...just my 2 cents
    "It's Mind over Matter, if you don't have a mind it doesn't matter"