Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: General thread on prettifying bt3f

I actually just build the programs from slackbuild scripts. This way it tells me if there are any warnings or errors. It is the same as the way the tutorial mentions but puts them in *.tgz package. Instead of using the removepkg program I just use the upgradepkg program after each program was built. It keeps the version tracking of packages much easier.

does slackware or kde have a similar concept like the mac dock bar, where all the main icons are stored. Then once you move your mouse over the icons, they magnify ? (I don't know if i'm explaining it correctly, but here's what I'm looking for (under the dock section) http://www.yorku.ca/facs2930/w01/mac...cosx_york.html

Quote Originally Posted by sylvestor2002 View Post
    does slackware or kde have a similar concept like the mac dock bar, where all the main icons are stored. Then once you move your mouse over the icons, they magnify ? (I don't know if i'm explaining it correctly, but here's what I'm looking for (under the dock section) http://www.yorku.ca/facs2930/w01/mac...cosx_york.html
    I don't think kde does, but I know Gnome does.

http://thedailyubuntu.blogspot.com/2...ar-for_03.html
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by sylvestor2002 View Post
    There are a few around......none of them seem to be quite perfect, but they're very usable.

Try Kooldock? I have played with that on a Slack box without issues. I was going to try it out on BT3. Maybe you can test it out for us?

Default Kooldock

I installed kooldock on BT3 final on my pendrive with persistent changes running compiz-fusion with Nvidia drivers. The dock works, but at least for me it is pretty unstable. 6/10 times it causes KDE to crash.

Here's a screenshot:

Quote Originally Posted by Zermelo View Post
    I installed kooldock on BT3 final on my pendrive with persistent changes running compiz-fusion with Nvidia drivers. The dock works, but at least for me it is pretty unstable. 6/10 times it causes KDE to crash.

Here's a screenshot:

Where did you download kooldock for slackware and which version did you use on bt3 ?

Zermelo, nice one!
    I quite like Kooldock and haven't found too much instability with it. It certainly hasn't brought down KDE or anything drastic!
    The worst I've found is that *very* occasionally it "seems" to disappear, but if you run "kooldock" in a console it happily says "it's already running!" and then it simply re-appears again anyway. Not the best behavior in the world, but it *is* very seldom.......

sylvestor2002, I don't recall where I got my copy from (I run it on a Slack12.1 box), probably just the sourceforge page, although a few repositories seem to carry it. Here's slacky's for example:
    http://repository.slacky.eu/slackwar...ooldock/0.4.7/
    (I run it on a Slack12.1 box)

Edit: Yes, found it - I used 0.4.7 and compiled it myself. I expect the same would work with BT3

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    sylvestor2002, I don't recall where I got my copy from (I run it on a Slack12.1 box), probably just the sourceforge page, although a few repositories seem to carry it. Here's slacky's for example:
    http://repository.slacky.eu/slackwar...ooldock/0.4.7/
    (I run it on a Slack12.1 box)

Edit: Yes, found it - I used 0.4.7 and compiled it myself. I expect the same would work with BT3
    Thanks Re@lity. I downloaded it from the link you provided. Then typed the following to install it.

bt ~ # installpkg kooldock-0.4.7-i486-1dx.tgz

Once installed you can type the following to run the kooldock application:
    bt ~ # kooldock

So far kooldock seems to work ok under bt3. The only issue I'm having is when I add an application to the kooldock, I don't get the proper icon for the application (I get a blank icon image.)

You will need to specify the icon yourself.

r.click blank area of kooldock ----> Edit quick launch menu ----> Add application ----> select icon, etc here.

As far as I recall, anyhow

Default Kooldock and Compiz-Fusion

Re@lity,

Are you running kooldock along with Compiz and emerald? If I run kooldock with just KDE, it's very stable, but with Compiz-Fusion, it crashes kde 60% of the time. If I run it on startup and it loads before compiz, it's stable, but then when compiz finally loads up, the appearance is screwed up, it's like compiz overlays it in a separate screen, weird.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast