Thread: Kismet and airodump diferent results

Just burned his ISO

Cool Kismet and airodump diferent results

Hello all! I have 3 questions, if anyone could answer me or show me the way, I would be very grateful. If something that I say doesn't make sense, please tell me, I will attempt to explain it some other way, I'm still learning

1 - When I run kismet I check the number of clients in a bssid and for example it gives me 2. However when I run airodump it doesn't show any client in that AP. Why does it shows the clients on kismet but not on airodump? Does it has anything to do with the signal strength?

2 - On my AP I have 2 computers that are connected to it by cable. Being me, the only one with a wireless card, would it be possible to capture the 4-way handshake? I mean, does this process also occurs when the stations are conected to the AP by cable?

3 - My laptop has a wireless card incoporated, with the wireless interface wlan0. But since it's not big thing, I use a Linksys WUSB54G v4, with a interface rausb0. When I try to make the rausb0 the only one monitoring, this is what I do:

airmon-ng stop wlan0
    airmon-ng start rausb0

But then when I check their states with "iwconfig", in front of the wlan0 it doesn't show up " no wireless extensions" in front of the wlan0 like I intended. What am I doing wrong?

I read the foruns rules and searched for info on these, but couldn't find anything...

PS: this is a good summer to get a tan

Good friend of the forums

For 2) it won't work with wired, think it as two switchs and a wan, 4or 8 ports for wired, and say 4 or 8 for wireless.

3)airmon-ng start wifi0
    use wifi0 instead of wlan0 or rausb0 etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Tirwit View Post
    1 - When I run kismet I check the number of clients in a bssid and for example it gives me 2. However when I run airodump it doesn't show any client in that AP. Why does it shows the clients on kismet but not on airodump? Does it has anything to do with the signal strength?
    Kismet is a much more advanced wireless sniffer and will use a number of different methods to pair a client with a wireless AP. Airodump-ng on the other hand is much more limited in its pairing and detection abilities which is why Kismet often will locate many more clients for an AP, especially if the signal is poor and some of the clients inactive.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Good friend of the forums williamc's Avatar

To answer number 1, you should specify a channel and BSSID (only one AP). That way you will get a client listing.

William

Quote Originally Posted by williamc View Post
    To answer number 1, you should specify a channel and BSSID (only one AP). That way you will get a client listing.

William
    As will it in channel-hopping mode, however as it continuously changes the channel it listens to it will take longer for it to pick up clients that do not generate a lot of traffic.

Locking it down to a specific channel or even a particular AP, as williamc says, will make it disregard unrelated packets and concentrated only on the appropriate ones. This also applies to Kismet as it by default will channel-hop, but can be locked down to a specific channel if required.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by williamc View Post

William
    I did that. But no client appeared. So that means that if I'm not in the client's station signal range, I can't detect the handshake?

Since the first handshake is from the AP to the station, I should be able to capture that, but since the 2nd handshake is from the client to the AP, will it be possible for me to get it? Same thing for the 4th handshake.

Good friend of the forums williamc's Avatar

If you can see the clients in Kismet, you should be able to see them in Airodump. Post what your typing in so we can have a look.

Just burned his ISO

No need william =) the problem is solved! Prolly it was because I have two wireless cards and he didn't let me shut down the one that is incorporated on the laptop... Don't ask me why

Nevertheless, I was able the capture the 4way handshake. Now It's time to study about the dictionaries. I have two very good at the moment. The Argon and the one from Xploitz. However since I only have a laptop 1.83Ghz dual core, I'll have to search for one much better to do this. Just for curiosity, how can I calculate the amount of time it'll take a certain processor to run a dictionary as big as the one from Xploitz? Not those calculators that give the time all possible combinations for a certain amount of characters.

Btw Xploitz, if you're out there reading this just wanna say thanks for the great videos and the word list, they've helped a lot! I haven't explored the dictionary yet, but I bet it's great like the videos!

I was also told that it's possible to put several computers working together for running the dictionary. Anyone knows how can this be done? Or can give me the name for which the process is known so I can investigate further?

Thanks for all the replies helping me