Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: uninstalling bt2 and lilo dual boot

Just burned his ISO

Default still... nothing

lilo -u is no longer an option. i pretty much tried everything with it and nothing is different. it looks like fixmbr is the way i am going to have to go. you guys have mentioned MBRfix and i have downloaded it but i have no idea how to get it to boot on my computer. if someone has a guide or an explanation on how i can make mbrfix.exe bootable from my usb port that would be great

i need to make mbrfix.exe a usb bootable file!!!!! help

Developer

If I were you I would grab hirens boot cd. Under mbr tools there is a software called partition table doctor. there is a fixboot and fixmbr selection. this will automatically restore your mbr to windows.

Just burned his ISO

Question hirens

alright well i downloaded hirens 9.3 (it was the latest version i could get my hands on). i popped it into daemon tools but it didnt give me an option for partition table doctor. is there another way to use the program? or am i just doing it wrong? i know that partition table doctor is in this release because it says it in the readme file.

this is exactly what happened with mbrfix too. i dont know what to do with the files once i get them

Just burned his ISO

Wink scratch that

i have the program running on startup now. however, i dont think that partition table doctor is the right software to use in there

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs down bigger problems...

good news and bad news. i got hirens working BUT, partition table doctor did not fix my problem. i get a "non system disk error" everytime i start up. good thing i backed up. im actually typing this post from my phone : ) currently i am messing around with other software in hirens to see if i can delete the other linux partitions but so far no luck. i have an hp image recovery partition, but i have no idea how to access it

Developer

Dude. Hirens is a boot disc which means it must be booted like a live cd. This ensures all your partiton tables are unmounted. So put in the cd and go in your bios and set the boot disc priority to boot from cd rather than hard drive. It id the right tool because I have used it many many times.

About the fixmbr thing -

All you need to do is either make a DOS bootable floppy and thrown the exe onto it.

(Although, if you can use a floppy on your machine, simplest thing is probably to just d/l an old win'98 boot floppy image and use that with "fdisk /mbr" like I said before.)

Or, make a bootable win32 CD and throw the exe onto it.
    For this, you could use bart's PEbuilder. It's very simple to do and very well documented.

Obviously, you'll need access to another PC, by the sounds of it

For Hirens CD, some of the mbr restore tools will need your mbr backup of course.
    You do still have this? I don't see what you're doing wrong here!?

Maybe you could just use dd to write your backup back to the mbr?
    I think that would be the simplest solution and could be performed from within the bt live cd. You do have that, don't you?

Just burned his ISO

Red face i will give the dd a try

ill give the dd a try. the file was called boot.0800 i believe but i cannot get into my old bt2 install anymore. im at work right now so ill do it when i get home. in the meantime can someone post the dd ill need to use? i may be able to relocate the file with one of the recovery tools in hirens, but i dont even know if its there anymore. after partition table doctor "fixed" my mbr i really dont know where my boot file is.

Hmmm, you're getting yourself in a mess here

If you want to use dd, you'll still need your mbr backup file.
    What do mean - "post the dd you'll need to use"!? It's a program. It's on just about all *nix distros that I know of.
    It just reads/writes raw data.

If you *can* still access your MBR backup file, you could simply boot BT livecd and use dd like so:

Code:
    dd if=/dev/hda1/boot.0800 of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
    (Where /dev/hda1 is the BT partition, boot.0800 is the mbr backup file and /dev/hda is your primary drive requiring the MBR work)

Why can't you access your BT partition any more?
    Have you screwed up the partition table?

It's difficult to help, as you're trying a few different methods here, all at once.
    Then, after attempting a method and messing it up, you're returning here and we don't know what you've done to the machine since your last post!

I think it would be best, at this point, to just use your factory restore option
    If it's on a partition on your hdd (and you haven't hosed that as well!) there'll be a simple key to hit during boot to instigate it. Something like F10 or F12, etc, etc.
    A quick search on Google should tell you.....

If you *have* hosed your partition table completely and can no longer access the factory restore utility either, let us know..........
    There are some progs that will attempt to read the "correct" partition table structure for you, but you'll need to be able to identify it when you see it!

You should have just formatted your BT partition and installed BT3f onto that, like I said in the first place!

Just burned his ISO

Default ...yeah i know

yeah i know that ive been trying too many solutions at once. and actually i meant just post what you think the dd string would look like. anyways, im new to the whole linux thing and i honestly cant tell you how much i appreciate the time that you guys take to answer my questions. if it werent for forums like this i would still be a tech wash-up.

right now im looking into some of the other tools in hirens but dont see anything too particularly usefull.

also, unfortunantely it doesnt seem ike an option to boot my recov partition. idk why but there arent any options for it.

if one of you could post more info on the program/programs that try to figure out how to get my boot working properly again (mentioned in the lst post) that would be great. thanks again guys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast