Kurt_Kabayan
    noobies backtrack community :D

Quote Originally Posted by kurt_kabayan View Post
    i only download ndsiwrapper
    and then install it
    and then load driver rtl8187 for win98
    and then a little configue in rc.local
    and then walaahhhhh iwconfig i see the wlan
    As I state on the first few lines of the tutorial the main purpose of the thread is to raise awareness of the Auto-NDISwrapper script which automates the download process of the appropriate driver to be used along with ndiswrapper depending on your wireless card, which usually is the hardest part, and the actual installation of it. As an example I use the Alfa 500mw card since there have been quite a few questions on how to connect to a WPA/WPA2 encrypted network using it on the forum.

You are however correct, there is no need to actually use this script as you can hunt down the right driver and manually install and configure it using the already in BT3F included ndiswrapper.

Quote Originally Posted by alan-smithee View Post
    I use the r8187 driver more time than ndiswrapper, how can I prevent it to load by default ?

I've tried to do this by adding the entry "blacklist ndiswrapper" in the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, but it obviously doesn't work...
    If anybody else is looking for the answer to this question alan-smithee seems to have figured it out himself in the following post.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote Originally Posted by pir8s View Post
    Hello!
    I just configured my network to use WPA security and I wanted to do some testing using mitm attacts to my desktop computer but apparently that will not be possible since in order to connect to a WPA network I need NDISwrapper which does not allows me to put the card in monitor mode.... Am I correct here?

Can I use ettercap for ARP poisoning once i connect to my WPA network using NDISwrapper?

Thanks
    Ettercap will not put your card into monitor mode, in fact it will only work if your card is in managed mode. Therefore you will be able to use ettercap on a WPA/WPA2 encrypted network, or WEP/unencrypted for that part, using ndiswrapper.

Just burned his ISO

Great tutorial, could never get ndiswrapper to work for me until now. Thank You =Tron=

Tron; Just wanted to thank you for the outstanding tut on how to get the ndiswrapper pieces/parts setup correctly for using WPA on an ALFA. I know it is a bit of an old post, but since I've just started working with the ALFA and realtek drivers, the info was new to me (not to mention valuable and saving many hours of hair pulling...which I can't afford!)

Thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    Tron; Just wanted to thank you for the outstanding tut on how to get the ndiswrapper pieces/parts setup correctly for using WPA on an ALFA. I know it is a bit of an old post, but since I've just started working with the ALFA and realtek drivers, the info was new to me (not to mention valuable and saving many hours of hair pulling...which I can't afford!)

Thanks again...
    Glad you found the guide helpful and thank you for the kind words, always nice to feel appreciated.

Just burned his ISO

On a note just for completeness I followed the instructions to the letter modprobed the ndiswrapper and no wlan0 device. Remembering reading people post you need both usb cables plugged in I plugged both in re-modprobed and worked like a charm. I guess the windows 98 drivers requires both and the r8187 does not. Thanks for the post
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by d3vnu11 View Post
    On a note just for completeness I followed the instructions to the letter modprobed the ndiswrapper and no wlan0 device. Remembering reading people post you need both usb cables plugged in I plugged both in re-modprobed and worked like a charm. I guess the windows 98 drivers requires both and the r8187 does not. Thanks for the post
    Kev
    I might have to look into this, but as far as I understand the inner workings of the card the second (longer) cable end is only used to supply power to the card and not for transferring any data. If this is the case it should be driver independent and the only thing determining whether you need both ends connected or not is the amount of power your USB port can supply, i.e. 2 x USB1.0 or 1 x USB2.0.

Thanks for this post Tron but having a little trouble with it.

I've gone through the process and it seems to install ok (only difference was I got the driver (Win98se_ME_1304_1119.zip) from CNET downloads as the FTP link you provide asked for a login and password.

Once install is complete I "rmmod r8187" and then "iwconfig" to confirm that the interface is no longer there "wlan0" - fine.

Then I do "modprobe ndiswrapper" and then "iwconfig" again - but the interface does not show up?

If I then do "rmmod r8187" and "iwconfig" - wlan0 shows up again?

Any ideas? - apologies if I'm doing something stoopid!

Thanks

Nico

Just burned his ISO

Just a small thing I noticed while I was making a new BT3 hard drive install. The Realtek RTL8187L driver has been updated and the link in the original post is dead I believe. All the steps work fine just when you get to download/unzip change up with this new file.

http://tinyurl.com/realtek8187l - Check RTL8187L and click Go I can't hotlink directly to that page for some reason.

On that page download the "Win98SE and WinME driver" package from any of the mirrors. After that run these commands in this order, which are changed a bit from the original ones. (Note the name of the zip/folder may change if Realtek updates again)

unzip Driver_1313_98ME_0613.zip
    cd Driver_1313_98ME_0613/Win98
    cp rtl8187.sys /tmp/auto-ndis/0bda\:8187/
    cp Netrtuw.inf /tmp/auto-ndis/0bda\:8187/
    After this just follow as the original post says press 'y' and it should install fine then load ndiswrapper and best of luck.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast