Thread: Poor Performance using live cd?

Just burned his ISO

Default Poor Performance using live cd?

Ok, I just received my new laptop in the mail today.

Its a hp dv9700t, with 2gb of ram and dual core t5750 processor. Well for some reason it acts like it doesn't buffer the entire live dvd into ram. It actually accesses the dvd very often.

Do I need to run some command before I run startx. On my desktop computer that is about 2yrs old it runs flawlessly from the same live dvd.
    New to BT, not new to Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_R View Post
    Ok, I just received my new laptop in the mail today.

Its a hp dv9700t, with 2gb of ram and dual core t5750 processor. Well for some reason it acts like it doesn't buffer the entire live dvd into ram. It actually accesses the dvd very often.

Do I need to run some command before I run startx. On my desktop computer that is about 2yrs old it runs flawlessly from the same live dvd.
    Well is is an Hp.... How much ram is on the desktop?

Oh, does that laptop come with it's own car trailer? Holy crap that thing is HUUUUGE!
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_R View Post
    At the boot screen you can choose to load the entire disc into RAM, however as you only have 2Gb I would not advice this approach. You could try using a bootable USB instead of DVD, as access times will improve significantly using flash memory.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Barry - my desktop has 2gbs of ram also and yeah the laptop is huge!

Tron, I'll try the usb flash drive. If that doesn't help, in a couple of weeks I plan on upgrading to 4gb anyway. I also did a memory test and it tested good.

Hopefully my alfa adapter will be here today, so I can start learning backtrack's capabilities.

Thanks for answering quickly.

Just burned his ISO

I just thought of something. Would the live cd be accessing my linux partition on my desktop pc, giving it better performance? I might do a dual boot setup on the laptop, be a good time with a fresh hard drive.

Just burned his ISO

I also have an HP Laptop (dv6701ca) and when I was using the LIVE CD I had the same issue, everytime I was typing a new command I has to wait for the CD to start spinning....

I upgraded to 4GB of ram and i'm now using the USB LIVE and it's now working fine, boot time is faster, everything is better with USB.

hope it help!