Thread: error in bt3 usb ext.install,swap,changes.

Default error in bt3 usb ext.install,swap,changes.

Hi guys,i`ve held off from doing this for days now,but "enuf is enuf"and its time i threw my problem into the open! Trying to install bt3,usb version,to a usb flash drive after having bt3 on cd for a month(ish).S`pose it was natural progression;the need for changes to stick and adding wordlists in usable space that led me to go for this install. D/lded bt3 usb and after making 3 partitions;1.08gb fat32 for boot,bt3,1.5gb ext2 swap,and the remaining gb in ext.3 all primary.Sorry for my comp. unknowledgable speak,but really am new to these practices. ok,moved boot and bt3 files to fat32 part.,from here followed purehates tut. on blip.tv to the letter,from command prompt entries in my F:drive(usb) to booting the bt3 cd,editing syslinux in nano (/dev/sda3 auto....)down to final bt boot-wheres the bloody hash key,oh well-hash,bootinst.sh.All had gone well up till now,when it came to the "any key to cont,or control and x(?) to abort....nothing,any key pressed left that ident,still nothing. i thought id log out of the cd,and after setting boot prefs in my bios for usb,the drive began to fire up.Hesitated for some 5 mins on looking for data/data files,but eventually proceeded to boot. Several errors were noted: no icons in top right of any page,same in opening a console,however this was completely stalled.Obviously an error somewhere,but what and where are a mystery to me,even with my experience,haha.The only times i strayed from tuts was when i added a swap part. and used my bt3 cd version to apply changes to my usb boot/cfg. I`m getting ready for arather large helping of cream with my humble pie,hope i`ve given enuf info for a working result,cheers.I`m running a 7082 Avent larry,1024gbram,40gbhd on Win xp sp2,cheers b. As a quick post script,just seen the other ,very similar problem added today,but no outcome is,as yet apparent.b

Quote Originally Posted by bibs64 View Post
    Hi guys, I've held off from doing this for days now, but "enuf is enuf"and its time i threw my problem into the open! Trying to install bt3, usb version,to a usb flash drive after having bt3 on cd for a month(ish). S`pose it was natural progression; the need for changes to stick and adding wordlists in usable space that led me to go for this install. D/lded bt3 usb and after making 3 partitions; 1.08gb fat32 for boot, bt3, 1.5gb ext2 swap, and the remaining gb in ext.3 all primary. Sorry for my comp. unknowledgable speak, but really am new to these practices. ok, moved boot and bt3 files to fat32 part.,from here followed purehates tut. on blip.tv to the letter, from command prompt entries in my F:drive(usb) to booting the bt3 cd,editing syslinux in nano (/dev/sda3 auto....)down to final bt boot-wheres the bloody hash key, oh well-hash, bootinst.sh. All had gone well up till now,when it came to the "any key to cont,or control and x(?) to abort....nothing, any key pressed left that ident, still nothing. I thought id log out of the cd, and after setting boot prefs in my bios for usb,the drive began to fire up. Hesitated for some 5 mins on looking for data/data files, but eventually proceeded to boot. Several errors were noted: no icons in top right of any page,same in opening a console, however this was completely stalled. Obviously an error somewhere, but what and where are a mystery to me, even with my experience, haha. The only times i strayed from tuts was when i added a swap part. and used my bt3 cd version to apply changes to my usb boot/cfg. I`m getting ready for a rather large helping of cream with my humble pie, hope i`ve given enuf info for a working result, cheers. I`m running a 7082 Avent larry,1024gbram, 40gbhd on Win xp sp2, cheers b.

Dude, could you please edit that and add spaces so it's somewhat ledgable?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

....1024gbram.....
    What, do you own a gibson?

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Hi guys,i`ve held off from doing this for days now,but "enuf is enuf"and its time i threw my problem into the open! Trying to install bt3,usb version,to a usb flash drive after having bt3 on cd for a month(ish).S`pose it was natural progression;the need for changes to stick and adding wordlists in usable space that led me to go for this install. D/lded bt3 usb and after making 3 partitions;1.08gb fat32 for boot,bt3,1.5gb ext2 swap,and the remaining gb in ext.3 all primary.Sorry for my comp. unknowledgable speak,but really am new to these practices. ok,moved boot and bt3 files to fat32 part.,from here followed purehates tut. on blip.tv to the letter,from command prompt entries in my F:drive(usb) to booting the bt3 cd,editing syslinux in nano (/dev/sda3 auto....)down to final bt boot-wheres the bloody hash key,oh well-hash,bootinst.sh.All had gone well up till now,when it came to the "any key to cont,or control and x(?) to abort....nothing,any key pressed left that ident,still nothing. i thought id log out of the cd,and after setting boot prefs in my bios for usb,the drive began to fire up.Hesitated for some 5 mins on looking for data/data files,but eventually proceeded to boot. Several errors were noted: no icons in top right of any page,same in opening a console,however this was completely stalled.Obviously an error somewhere,but what and where are a mystery to me,even with my experience,haha.The only times i strayed from tuts was when i added a swap part. and used my bt3 cd version to apply changes to my usb boot/cfg. I`m getting ready for arather large helping of cream with my humble pie,hope i`ve given enuf info for a working result,cheers.I`m running a 7082 Avent larry,1024gbram,40gbhd on Win xp sp2,cheers b. As a quick post script,just seen the other ,very similar problem added today,but no outcome is,as yet apparent.b
    Isn't this pretty much EXACTLY what you already posted in your very first post or am I the only one not noticing the added spaces for making the text easier to actually read.

EDIT: Duplicate post removed, disregard this reply.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Did totally,re-do,my English prof. would have been pleased,however ,everytime i go to post after editing,it goes back to near original format.I`ll have a few more attempts,dont s`pose theres a tut on that!b

I edited my quote of your original post. It looks like you messed up your syslinux config. I'd start over and not edit it at first. Make sure every thing boots correctly. Once it boots correctly you should be able to see what it's going to call your drive (sda, sdb, hda, hdb) you'll then be able to edit your syslinux config.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Thanks very much Barry,i`ll try that.Everytime i edit this script,i end up submitting and it stays the same....annoyed!!!!!!b.

Ok,reinstalled bt3 on the usb flash and tried to boot. All started ok,until the normal looking for data files and the booting froze.From info. in the forum,removing the ext.usb dvd drive was meant to remady this,so ahead i went and booting started immediately.Upon opening bt3 all was exactly the same as previously,on page,top right icons missing and no command movement in shell.Idefinately checked MD5 on download,so this is a real enigma.Cheers,b.

Just as a footnote,mydrives were called,respectively,sdai for fat32 and sda3 for my ext3,changes.Ihave read in several threads that "Backtrack 3 uses an ext.2 for the changes" and doesnt perform well in ext.3.I know theres horses for courses,but maybe give it a shot.

After booting ok on external usb dvd removal,it would seem my only problem is the failure of shell,console(?) with a white small blank cursor over the 'b' in bt3 and another where the command is started.

I`ll give a couple of ideas ago,but like isaid previously,my comp. knowledge not great.......REALLY?

Ok,it would seem bt3 with changes boots fine now.
    My two main problems,booting stopping at ...."data files"; (has been semi- remedied by removing external usb DVD drive,so its not fully resolved,but a small price to pay!)and borking up the install,fully resolved.
    Whilst ending command; "btboot#bootinst.sh",the screen read "....any key to continue
    or CTRL + C to abort....", it would seem my lappy would only continue after the Enter key pressed!Voila!All working well.
    Thanks to Pureh@te for video tut,and Balding Parrot for the tut and all others that have bothered to help newbs.I`m sure when i get a better grasp of Linux/Slax things will get easier,till then,more reading and studying!(Yeah,i know,i really ought to get out more!!
    Cheers,b.