Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Server 2008 as a Workstation

Default Windows Server 2008 as a Workstation

This maybe usefull other BOFH's who are "forced" to use Windows on the work desktop/laptop.

Convert your Windows Server 2008 to a Workstation

I'm definitely going to look into this since I'm change to a D630 laptop asap and was thinking of running Windows via VMWare but this may also be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by BOFH139 View Post
    This maybe usefull other BOFH's who are "forced" to use Windows on the work desktop/laptop.

Convert your Windows Server 2008 to a Workstation

I'm definitely going to look into this since I'm change to a D630 laptop asap and was thinking of running Windows via VMWare but this may also be an option.
    I feel your pain, I have been forece to use winblows XP to and I quote "Ensure I have the same user experience as the rest of the company".

Whilst I can see the logic behind this, it does not change the fact winblows XP is a four letter expletive refering to excrement.

I am trying to justify a Mac book pro, with VM ware fusion ... wish me luck ><
    ---------

OSX 10.6
    Advent Vega (Tegra 250)

Working on getting BT5 working on the Vega

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by TFA
    13. Windows Search: Install the Windows Search service to search your Outlook and documents.
    This isn't a feature that anyone should want. Windows Search is a total POS.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    This isn't a feature that anyone should want. Windows Search is a total POS.
    The mere mentioning of this service is still sending chills up my spine, I remember the amount of resources this “tool” used to eat up on my old Winblows machine, even while technically not being in use. Not to mention the tweaking it took to get completely rid of that POS.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    The mere mentioning of this service is still sending chills up my spine, I remember the amount of resources this “tool” used to eat up on my old Winblows machine, even while technically not being in use. Not to mention the tweaking it took to get completely rid of that POS.
    They day it rolled out via WSUS, I didn't read the report the night before to see what was included in updates, it rolled out to my HMI's and totally killed upon bootup. Couldn't do a damn thing on the machines. Had to boot into safe mode to remove it and get them back online.

After that I removed it from the WSUS and from all other remaining machines it got installed on.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

That was a bad day for all BOFH's globally......

I think we should remember to raise a pint to all our fallen brethren on the anniversary of that day every year....

*/ Think I require MORE coffee, 3 hours of reviewing and re-writing SOX policy and procedures has messed with my head..... */

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    They day it rolled out via WSUS, I didn't read the report the night before to see what was included in updates, it rolled out to my HMI's and totally killed upon bootup. Couldn't do a damn thing on the machines. Had to boot into safe mode to remove it and get them back online.

After that I removed it from the WSUS and from all other remaining machines it got installed on.

It would seem the author of that document believes that workstations aren't meant to be secure in anyway:
    2. New User, Auto Logon and Strong Passwords Enforcement: How to create a new user, how to configure a user to logon automatically and how to disable enforcement of a minimum complexity for passwords.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Yeah, after reading some of the site I don't think I'll be going down this line....
    BT3 {Slackware updated} with VMWare XP and CentOS it is them.....

If only TrueCrypt Full OS encryption had Linux support....

Quote Originally Posted by BOFH139 View Post
    Yeah, after reading some of the site I don't think I'll be going down this line....
    BT3 {Slackware updated} with VMWare XP and CentOS it is them.....

If only TrueCrypt Full OS encryption had Linux support....
    This is a pretty good alternative. The only thing not encrypted is the /boot partition. I've got 1.24Tb of drive space encrypted this way on one of my computers.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Hi Barry,

That for the link, I'm probably going to go down this root. Was hoping for TrueCrypt due to there need a client for Winblowz, *nix and also my N800.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    This is a pretty good alternative. The only thing not encrypted is the /boot partition. I've got 1.24Tb of drive space encrypted this way on one of my computers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast