Thread: Help with AWLL3026 antenna mod

Just burned his ISO

Default Help with AWLL3026 antenna mod

It appears two versions of this USB dongle exist. The standard AWLL3026 and the AWLL3026/NA (which I have). The standard version is easily antenna hacked. The "link" below shows the PCB of the standard dongle and the spiraled internal antenna on the top right of the board.

w w w[.]picfresh.com/pics/d8492711e0910125813f5375e163bb13.jpg

Easy enough to solder a pigtail to that.

Now...if you are like me and have the N. American version (/NA) of this dongle, we have a bit of a problem.

w w w[.]picfresh.com/pics/5c33d25eabceac94dc65df2c3842de4c.jpg

On the bottem left of the PCB, you'll see a blue box labeled "WTC." That's our antenna. A low profile, surface mountable, low temp co-fired ceramic antenna. Said to have excellent performance in radiation, bandwidth 360MHz. Now, I'm not too familiar with this antenna. I could have sworn that an antenna didn't need two contact points, but due to this one having said condition, I'm not sure where to solder on the SMA connector.

This USB dongle works well, and due to its low cost and accessibility, I'm sure many of us own/use this. So, any advice is welcome.

Just burned his ISO

**bump**

I'm a little discouraged that this post didn't get a reply. Has no one attempted to, or successfully antenna modded the AWLL3026/NA that I have?

Just burned his ISO

I read through that post before making mine. The problem is, he has the version with the spiraled internal antenna which is fairly easy to solder on to. Mine has the surface mounted ceramic antenna labeled "WTC" on the end. It's the little blue box.

I don't know why it has two connection points to the PCB. A friend of mine suggested one might be a ground, but I didn't think antenna needed to be grounded. It doesn't complete a circuit, does it? Thought it was an input.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennosuke View Post
    I read through that post before making mine. The problem is, he has the version with the spiraled internal antenna which is fairly easy to solder on to. Mine has the surface mounted ceramic antenna labeled "WTC" on the end. It's the little blue box.

I don't know why it has two connection points to the PCB. A friend of mine suggested one might be a ground, but I didn't think antenna needed to be grounded. It doesn't complete a circuit, does it? Thought it was an input.
    Most antennas require a groundplane. Just because there is two connections doesn't mean it's electrically connected inside.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

I would say that the other end is strictly for mounting on th PCB. Feel free to only use the "feed" end of the antenna (but you still must find a ground point to attach your cable ground).

Just burned his ISO

Ok. Thank you very much for the info. I'll get started on that as soon as I can.