Thread: How do I control (my) location that others see?

Just burned his ISO

Default How do I control (my) location that others see?

Let me be clear. I have no desire for illegal activity. Only to get educated and protect my privacy... and I believe the experts are here. Brutal honesty... Recently divorced a nasty b**ch who still wants more $$$ - and I moved to another country. She found me by having my brokerage (yet another country) telling her lawyer where I log in from.

Can someone PLEASE provide some direction as to how to set up a computer so my location remains my business. (I know about VPNs - but what if software is installed in my computer and I have to log in from there?)

Quote Originally Posted by freptik View Post
    Let me be clear. I have no desire for illegal activity. Only to get educated and protect my privacy... and I believe the experts are here. Brutal honesty... Recently divorced a nasty b**ch who still wants more $$$ - and I moved to another country. She found me by having my brokerage (yet another country) telling her lawyer where I log in from.

Can someone PLEASE provide some direction as to how to set up a computer so my location remains my business. (I know about VPNs - but what if software is installed in my computer and I have to log in from there?)
    http://www.torproject.org/
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

I would be a bit cautious about random proxy servers, especially if you ahve any usernames, passwords or private information transmitting in plain text. Of course this is the same with any internet connection, but with public proxy servers especially, you know never know who is listening on the other end of the rabbit's hole.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    I would be a bit cautious about random proxy servers, especially if you ahve any usernames, passwords or private information transmitting in plain text. Of course this is the same with any internet connection, but with public proxy servers especially, you know never know who is listening on the other end of the rabbit's hole.
    The problem with proxy servers as well as Tor, is that you will have to trust the person maintaining the proxy, or in the case of Tor the exit node, to respect your privacy and not access the data flowing through him.

As it would be a simple process to mine the data traffic for usernames and passwords along with other information, and cases of this kind have been revealed in the past, I would never use a proxy service for anything that could compromise my identity or access pages requiring me to log in.

In short anonymity is not to be confused with security.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    The problem with proxy servers as well as Tor, is that you will have to trust the person maintaining the proxy, or in the case of Tor the exit node, to respect your privacy and not access the data flowing through him.

As it would be a simple process to mine the data traffic for usernames and passwords along with other information, and cases of this kind have been revealed in the past, I would never use a proxy service for anything that could compromise my identity or access pages requiring me to log in.

In short anonymity is not to be confused with security.
    The OP wanted anonymity from his ex, which is why I suggested Tor.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    The OP wanted anonymity from his ex, which is why I suggested Tor.
    I understand that and Tor would absolutely be my suggestion as well.

I was merely trying to further educate the OP on the subject and things one have to take into consideration when relying on proxies of any kind, as he based on the question does not seem to have much prior experience of the subject.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Good friend of the forums williamc's Avatar

I'd suggest SSH. Find an SSH provider in another country that you can foward all your traffic through. Also, sign up for hushmail, for secure email.

William

Quote Originally Posted by freptik View Post

First thing I would do is to close that brokerage account (this would be after I inquired as to why they are giving out my personal information to other individuals). Find another that you can now move your assets to and -=viola=- your ex now has no idea where you are.