Thread: Problems saving changes made in GUI

Just burned his ISO

Default Problems saving changes made in GUI

hi

i've installed backtrack on hdd so i think it saves changes i make... but it's not

i changed keyboard layout but on reboot it's still on US.
    i changed screen res on 1024x768, but on reboot it's set on def value.

can someone explain to me why ?

Default Re: Problems saving changes made in GUI

Well, I don't think that anyone will be able to explain you why, since you included no information at all on your post, but my guess is that you made something wrong while installing. Unless you forgot to eject the liveCD, in which case you could be booting from it. Anyway, if you haven't forgot about the CD thing, my advice would be to try and reinstall BT4 from scratch. Also check the md5 of the iso image and try to install from a USB key instead of using a CD, to rule out bad CD quality issues or burning issues with your burning software.

BTW, you posted the same thread twice. When you join the forums you will be moderated and your posts won't appear until a moderator has seen and approved your post. This restriction will disappear, but in the mean time, if your post doesn't appear right away, check again later.
    Last edited by Snayler; 02-11-2010 at 08:10 AM.

Just burned his ISO

Smile Re: Problems saving changes made in GUI

Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    BTW, you posted the same thread twice. When you join the forums you will be moderated and your posts won't appear until a moderator has seen and approved your post. This restriction will disappear, but in the mean time, if your post doesn't appear right away, check again later.
    I'm sorry for that... i readn't that my thread would be moderated when i posted it... i thought there's my problem and i posted it twice

While posting second thread i read message

Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    Well, I don't think that anyone will be able to explain you why, since you included no information at all on your post, but my guess is that you made something wrong while installing. Unless you forgot to eject the liveCD, in which case you could be booting from it. Anyway, if you haven't forgot about the CD thing, my advice would be to try and reinstall BT4 from scratch. Also check the md5 of the iso image and try to install from a USB key instead of using a CD, to rule out bad CD quality issues or burning issues with your burning software.
    Well..

- I've checked md5 and it's ok.
    - I've installed bt4 from usb, using Universal USB Installer.
    - To install, i've booted graphic frame, i've logged in with "root" "toor" then i've wrote "startx" and in terminal i've wrote "obiquity".
    - I've not forgot USB key or i've chose always hdd boot.
    - I've tried to reinstall bt 4 times, but it's the same (2 times i've tried in sun virtualbox for windows).
    - In hd boot menu i choose always Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.30.9 (i've a dual boot with windows 7).
    - I've installed ubuntu and kubuntu with no problems.

There's a thing .... i don't know if it's a real problem, but when i logoff from gui, in console i read some errors

try installing it using liveDVD.
    mine's working flawlessly.

Hum... Then I would suggest you to do a manual install instead of using ubiquity. Are you comfortable with doing this? There are tutorials there in the wild, but be aware that if you mess up with something (partitioning) you can lose your data.

Just burned his ISO

thanks all for the answers.

i'm trying to make a manual installation... but while booting os i get an error.

First of all i've installed this way:
    - On an sataii hdd, i've made 4 primary partition, 2 for windows and 2 for backtrack (swap and os+boot) with fdisk;
    - I've formatted os partition with mkreiserfs and swap with mkswap;
    - I've used swapon to allow swap on swapping partition;
    - I've copied every dir from live root to mount point of os partition, except tmp,proc,sys and mnt (created after with mkdir);
    - I've used "mount -t proc proc /mountdir/proc", "mount -o bind /dev /mountdir/dev";
    - Then i've installed grub on boot hdd, and boot os using that code in grub/menu.lst :

title Start BackTrack (1024x768)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz persistent ro vga=0x317
    initrd /boot/initrd.img

while booting with this command line, begins a loop of "NTFS VOLUME VERSION 3.1", and i've to reset.

i'm sure that's a command line problem, maybe i missed some command.

tnx in advance, lolide