Thread: GPS support?

Default GPS support?

Hi, I am a little new to Linux and was wondering if Backtrack has support for GPS, like for geotagging APs? I've wondered through the applications a little bit, but didnt find anything that looked like it had to do with GPS. If there is, I plan to use this GPS kit, and install it internally in my laptop.

http://erroraccessdenied.com/node/1513
    Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them, because they change things.

Kismet has support for GPS and should be able to tell you where you where when you located the AP(s), providing that you use a supported device that is.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Kismet has support for GPS and should be able to tell you where you where when you located the AP(s), providing that you use a supported device that is.
    This is correct... also you might want to Google around for GPSD.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Cool! I just have to find a place buy it, then I will put it inside my eee pc, and I will post back telling how it works!
    Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them, because they change things.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by eovnu87435ds View Post
    Cool! I just have to find a place buy it, then I will put it inside my eee pc, and I will post back telling how it works!
    You're going to try to squeeze that card inside a machine that barely has space for it's own boards?

I want to see pictures when it's done.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You're going to try to squeeze that card inside a machine that barely has space for it's own boards?

Oh, it will fit. It's going to require quite a bit of hacking and soldering though.

Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Default Surprisingly...

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

Suprisingly, it has a lot of open space inside for you to cram things inside. There is one eeepc 4gb ive seen that has 2 extra usb hubs, GPS, another card reader, an extra 4GB internal memory, draft-n wifi, an FM transmitter, a touchscreen, and a temperature sensor. Its all connected to a 10 dip-switch held in the memory access panel so that they can be turned on and off easily.

These are pictures of the mentioned eeepc. Not mine.

Motherboard Top

Display panel

Motherboard bottom

for what it's worth I've had GpsDrive working on BackTrack before. I believe it's also installed as default on another Live PenTesting Distro, which name escapes me at the moment...

GpsDrive Homepage:
    hxxp: / /w w w. gpsdrive.de/
    Sorry, can't post urls so you'll have to change the above without the x's and spaces
    The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    for what it's worth I've had GpsDrive working on BackTrack before. I believe it's also installed as default on another Live PenTesting Distro, which name escapes me at the moment...

GpsDrive Homepage:

Sorry, can't post urls so you'll have to change the above without the x's and spaces
    I have gpsd working in backtrack now, it's not a big deal. Though my usb gps is flaking out now. That's not any fault of gpsd or backtrack, the iGPS-360 just isn't the greatest gps out there. Though I've got to say, it's done a pretty good job over the years. It's been cooked in the summers sitting on my dash with almost constant direct sun light, and frozen in the winters. I think I picked it up with streets and trips 2003, so that probably makes it one of the oldest pieces of electronics I own.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

I had GpsDrive installed on BT3b, although I had to use v2.09. The latest version gave me a lot of trouble dealing with gcc and such (common Slackware issue).
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";