Thread: Vmware Server 2.0 Rant (ignore if you hate foamy the squirrel's rants)

Angry Vmware Server 2.0 Rant (ignore if you hate foamy the squirrel's rants)

*Disclaimer*
    The below is the workings of a non-sane, angry, beard wearing, manifesto typing unibomberesque wierdo, pissed off in a charleton heston "you blew it all up" kind of way. If thats not your speed, i suggest a thread that may actually teach you something constructive [advanced ettercap anyone?].
    *End of Disclaimer*

Ok, so I know RE isn't related to vmware, isn't a general it forum et. al. But i like the general mindset here and so i'm going to vent here where i think my concerns may be shared...

So i'm boning up for a VOIP assessment, and i wanted a trixbox vm. Sadly my nice copy of vmware server 1.0 doesn't support the new features required for the vm so i bite my ballsack and dload and install the new version.

Vmware Server 2.0 rc1

The good people at vmware decided, hmmm lets shake things up with a product that most people run from their machine locally (because if you're running it remotely you are more than likely an enterprise user at which point i say f-off and go buy esx or the such) and make it all web based.

Works for server admins every using consoles over stupid web connections with sh*%ty activex controls (dont get me started on my rants on placing your console access direct on a web connection because NoooOooO one can use hydra on your stupid ****ing console web login).
    ...And by works i means annoys the piss out of.

Its not just the slowness (which believe me on my quad core 6 gigs of ram 64-bit monster is still felt [which actually pissed me off pretty bad] ) its the overall change in how they approach things.

The web interface (woohoo for web2.0 croonies everywhere) is cool, i’ll give them that. For users on a network all vying for the connection to the virtual host mama dolling out little nuggets of virtual machines (ie your classic enterprise environment *cough* buy a real product *cough*) its a-ok, but for john q consultant who just wants to fire up a virtual and finds out he has to pop a browser -> login -> click through the cludgy interface -> start his machine -> launch a pop up -> pray -> wait -> lose his faith -> slit his wrists -> get reincarnated as a new up and coming junior consultant [appropriate penance for suicide]-> step over corpse -> log into vm guest OS.

To me it just seems they forgot the audience they were trying to reach with this “free” product. That being said, who can complain, they want to get free testing from the cheap bastards [read as me] out there using their “free” product much in the way Fedora is for RHEL. I say, good for them, but at the same time F (note thats the capital F, those are my good swears) them.

Oh and by the way i have removed that horrible blight on mankind from my rig. I’ll probably go running back to my old tried and true (only reason i upgraded was for a stupid virtual that wasn’t supported).

*oh by the way, anyone out there have any comments on vm server 2.0? I'm actually curious if im smoking crack or did they just take a turn for the worse.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Let it go dude find some one and ask for a hug.
    Their just computers, inanimate objects.

If the new vmware is that bad then find an older copy.
    Or just install trixbox onto a dedicated machine.
    Check me I got a tutorial on Trixy if you need it. General IT Section. Real easy to setup and I have done it both with and without vmware.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Let it go dude find some one and ask for a hug.
    Their just computers, inanimate objects.

If the new vmware is that bad then find an older copy.
    Or just install trixbox onto a dedicated machine.
    Check me I got a tutorial on Trixy if you need it. General IT Section. Real easy to setup and I have done it both with and without vmware.
    I agree, Setting up Trixbox ain't that tough. If I recall, I had one setup and running as a test machine in under 45 minutes.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I agree, Setting up Trixbox ain't that tough. If I recall, I had one setup and running as a test machine in under 45 minutes.
    Yes and using the point and click interface of the remote browser is rather easy to get going.
    I think my first one took about 1 hour messing with everything that trixbox had to offer. Know its down around 20-30 minutes for a setup.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

heh, yeah, trix box is easy. It was the shock of the "new". Anyway back on my meds now.