Thread: Problem with USB Stick installation

Just burned his ISO

Default Problem with USB Stick installation

I've followed the simple instructions here (it won't let me post the URL ... the howto on the wiki about making a USB stick w/ BT3) (thank you to author!) and my BackTrack 3 works great.

My problem is that my changes don't seem to stick: simple example is my desktop wallpaper in BT3 changes back to default; another example is I installed the source for a newer linux kernel (as detailed in an aircrack tutorial to get my iwl4965 working) to /usr/src/linux and next time I started it up it's gone. Needless to say I need to figure it out because I need to configure my wireless manually as it is to get it to work at all.

When I select BackTrack with Persistent Changes during login and make no modifications, it boots but obviously doesn't work. When I edit the command and point changes to /dev/sda, it boots but doesn't stick. When I boot my USB shows up as /dev/sdb1, so I assume that is what I need ... but when I point changes to there, it won't boot at all. I'm in Windows now so I can't get the exact message right now (i will later), but boot stops when it tries to use /dev/sdb1 for something.

Thanks

Just burned his ISO

Not sure if this helps but have you tried this from the wiki?

After having produced the personalization, open the console and digit dir2lzm /mnt/live/memory/changes changes.lzm (changes.lzm or pippo.lzm ...) changes.lzm you have in root folder, paste in USB modules folder (BT/modules). Reboot you have saved setting up. -bzImage

found under Howto#Save_configuration_to_USB_stick, generally works pretty well for me, if understand what you're trying to accomplish.

Just burned his ISO

I'll try that out ... thanks!

Just burned his ISO

Here's what happens when I choose BT3 w/ persistent changes and then edit the command w/ /dev/sdb1 as the howto says:

using BT3 data from /mnt/sdb1/BT3
    setting up directory for changes
    /dev/sdb1
    testing the filesystem for posix compatibility
    not compatible - starting posixovl
    setup union directory (using aufs, with udba=none)
    mount: mounting aufs on union failed
    Fatal error occured - can't setup union (aufs)
    Something went wrong and we can't continue. This should never happen.
    Please reboot using Ctl-Alt-Delete

I'm going to try the above suggestion now.