Thread: iwlwifi regulatory daemon

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default iwlwifi regulatory daemon

so, is it even possible to operate the iwl driver outside of regulatory specs?
    such as channels 12-14 for instance. couldn't find any info on google (perhaps i just wasn't using the right terms).
    I would be very grateful for any insight

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelen View Post
    such as channels 12-14 for instance. couldn't find any info on google (perhaps i just wasn't using the right terms).
    I would be very grateful for any insight
    Why would you want to?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

1. one of my linksys routers (as an AP) has ddwrt and it seems to be able to do this
    i have no way of checking this due to the fact that i can't connect yet
    2. achieve an addition non-overlapping channel
    3. a little bit of security through obscurity
    4. because i can (well... not yet)
    5. ???

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

1. one of my linksys routers (as an AP) has ddwrt and it seems to be able to do this
    5. ???
    1. Regardless if DDWRT has the ability to do it, it should not be done if you're in the US as it is strictly against FCC regulations.
    2. There's other channels you can use besides ones that are strictly regulated by the FCC.
    3. Security through Obscurity is just plain stupid.
    4. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    5. Ignoring the laws that are in place is not wise.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

5. ???
    Check the legality of using those channels within your country. In the US and Canada, you will mere get a $10k fine. In other places I understand that on top of the fine, they seize the offending equipment and throw you in jail. In really tough places, they also rape your mom, and shoot your dog. Or maybe it's the other way around...

All-in-all, it's not a smart idea.

You actually said "Security through obscurity" on the RE Forums with a straight face? Do you understand that kismet will detect those channels? There is no "obscurity."
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

I would be very grateful for any insight.
    As already mentioned several times in this thread, the legality of using these channels will all come down to your location. In Europe/Africa/Asia for example you are free to use the channels 1-13, whereas USA/Canada only allows 1-11. If you live in Japan on the other hand feel free to use the full range of channels, 1-14 (14 only for 802.11b), but in case you are located in Israel you only have the channels 3-9 to choose among.

However, regardless of where you live the need to use the three uppermost channels really can't be that great since it will not provide you with any real additional security or other benefits of any kind.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

just so you all know the security through obscurity line was in fact a joke, i didn't expect anyone to actually take that seriously

also the whole reason i bring this up in the first place is that i will be taking the technician FCC exam soon, which I believe (looking into this right now) allows me to operate an unecrypted transmiter with no encrypted traffic in ch's 12-14 (<- looking into) in addition to 2.5GHz and the a larger portion of the 5GHz band (<- know for sure).

but still, if everyone thinks it's that terrible of an idea then i'll accept your advice and just not try it