Thread: Aircrack-ng command crashes my whole system, i don't understand why it does this.

Hybrid View

Default Aircrack-ng command crashes my whole system, i don't understand why it does this.

Exclamation Installed Backtrack 3 and Booting On my Acer Laptop, Aircrack-ng crashes?

[Log in to get rid of this advertisement]
    Heyy All Newbies, and Member's

I'd appreciate it if my problem is solved because i've been trying to solve it for weeks now,lol.

So i have a Acer laptop, and have succesfully downloaded backtrack (linux distrubution) and all is booting and functioning to a reasonable extent. However the only problem i am facing is when i open the shell konsole, and type "aircrack-ng", my laptop just freezes for 5 seconds, and i get a blank screen, and then backtrack 3 loads up again from the start, bringing me back to square one.

any suggestions or advice
    Pleasee help me.

Do any of the other parts of the aircrack studio work? such as
    airodump-ng

Yes Niros everything works proerply, i use the following:
    airmon, aireplay,aerodump.. and they all work, it just seems to be aircrack that let's me down, it's the last step of me being able to crack my own home network, and everytime i access aircrack-ng or anything related to aircrack-ng itself. the screen get's all fuzzy, and KDE is reloaded.

Anyone Please, Help?

Sorry moderator for just bloating my own forum, incase ur thinking what on earth am i doing lol, urmm, i think i may have found the solution, lsat night i went onto backtrack > system > system information> and realised that i onli had 3-4 mb of ram free, once everything was loaded, and therefore when i run the aircrack-ng, since it uses the CPU much more than any other command, does that mean it crashes linux, because there is less ram to carry out the request.

Sorri if that seemed a little complicated, just thought i'd figured the problem, correct me if im wrong plz?

Quote Originally Posted by dangerousgangsta View Post
    Sorry moderator for just bloating my own forum, incase ur thinking what on earth am i doing lol, urmm, i think i may have found the solution, lsat night i went onto backtrack > system > system information> and realised that i onli had 3-4 mb of ram free, once everything was loaded, and therefore when i run the aircrack-ng, since it uses the CPU much more than any other command, does that mean it crashes linux, because there is less ram to carry out the request.

Sorri if that seemed a little complicated, just thought i'd figured the problem, correct me if im wrong plz?
    Just a few points that you might want to take into consideration:

First of all Linux works with RAM in a whole different fashion than Windows, it will assign memory to all programs needing it striving to allocate all RAM that is available on the machine. Even a RAM usage of 100 % does not necessarily mean that your computer is about to freeze up as memory will be re-allocated when needed. However, this being said you might still want to check if there is a program actively hogging all of your RAM. Also, even though aircrack-ng is a very CPU intensive program, seeing as the whole process is based on mathematical calculations, this does not automatically translate into it demanding a huge amount of RAM as well.

Did you by the way already try to reinstall the newest version of aircrack-ng, as well as an older version in case the problem persists, as I suggested in my PM?
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

kool, i already PM you Tron, but i'll explain what stage i am at now, incase someone else may no..

As tron said, i may need to update or re install aircrack onto my usb, im running from usb, so will it recognise the changed made!, and how would i go about installin or updating aircrack?

lol, Everything's turning against me,lmao

First of all the aircrack-ng command takes down my whole laptop by rebooting linux, i do not know why, as soon as i hit enter on the command, after 2 seconds of freezing! KDE is reloaded. And another thing i booted up backtrack now from my usb, and opened firefox to check if it would connect to the internet and it did, seemed to have loaded fine. i then closed the browser, and tryed to open it again, guess what happens?

Ryt, the laptop freezes and restarts backtrack. i cant even re install aircrack because when it comes to the command "make install" my laptop reboots then aswell. it's either my usb is c*** and cant handle it, or ma pc.lol it's a puzzler, i do not no wot's going on..

Well since you seem to experience this problem using quite a few programs I would put my money on that it is not related specifically to aircrack-ng in any way, and therefore an update most likely will do you no good.

First of all did you verify the MD5 checksum of your downloaded files before you installed them onto your USB? It is possible that your copy became corrupt during the downloading process and that this is the real origin of all your problems. Another possible reason is that your CPU overheats, and that your BIOS turns of your computer to prevent any damage to the hardware. However, I believe that your computer would simply power off instead of restart if this was the case. Still you might want to check out the following link for enabling ACPI support on your acer laptop:
    http://code.google.com/p/aceracpi/

As tron said, i may need to update or re install aircrack onto my usb, im running from usb, so will it recognise the changed made!, and how would i go about installin or updating aircrack?
    As I stated in my PM to you, the changes will only be recognized at your next reboot in case you run a USB installation with persistent changes. Use the search function for more information on this set-up as there are plenty of good guides to be found on the forum already.

lol yup i did verify the MD5 Checksum, and there is nothing wrong with the files, i just redownloaded the usb backtrack 3 and had a check, and there is no joy, and nope lol the laptop doesn't turn of, it doesn't even restart all the way back to the bootmoney, it restarts to the backtrack 3 splash screen...

i'll just cary on researching into it..

Lol, ino that this wasn't the very intelligent way to solve this problem, but hay if u solve a problem it cnt be so stupid lol

what i decided to do was, i thought to myself backtrack 3 just came out, so i thought my laptop hardware may not support some of the features, since it is old. I then decided to download and run backtrack 2!, aircrack and everything works now, no freezing!, load's up in milliseconds, and still running of my usb

special thanks to Tron, with his support

Exclamation Ahh shytt i got a bit to excited, and my problem remains unsolved lol

basicalli i removed usb backtrack 3 and run USB backtrack 4. I was having problems with the aircrack suite.

Backtrack 3 aircrack suite = 1.0 rc1
    backtrack 2 aircrack suite = 0.7

in the aircrack 1.0 suite i can go into monitor mode, capture packets with airodump, and deauth wireless client (own network) with aireplay. But my comptuer crashes on the whole aircrack-ng command

However in aircracksuite 0.7 there is a different story, i am able to put my card in monitor mode, capture packets with airdump, but when i use aireplay it doesnt deauth the client at all, whereas this is beautifully and instantly done in the latest aircrack version. The aircrack-ng command in the old aircrack suite works perfectly.

This means that i have to keep installing between the 2 to be able to do the four steps in cracking my wpa network. Ino this does the job, but i have to put in way more effort..

does anyone have ani solution at all. please help, i'll be patient and wait for a reply.. thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by dangerousgangsta View Post
    However in aircracksuite 0.7 there is a different story, i am able to put my card in monitor mode, capture packets with airdump, but when i use aireplay it doesnt deauth the client at all, whereas this is beautifully and instantly done in the latest aircrack version. The aircrack-ng command in the old aircrack suite works perfectly.

This means that i have to keep installing between the 2 to be able to do the four steps in cracking my wpa network. Ino this does the job, but i have to put in way more effort..

does anyone have ani solution at all. please help, i'll be patient and wait for a reply.. thanks in advance
    Have you tried using mdk to de-auth the clients instead of aireplay-ng?