Thread: SpoonWep

Just burned his ISO

Default SpoonWep

I have some questions about SpoonWep and this whole process in general.

1. What is the ATH checkbox to the right of the wireless card drop down menu? I checked it and it turned red. I checked it because i have an Atheros wireless card. I have no idea if that is what that checkbox is really for.

2. Evidently my Atheros 5007 card works without any hassle. Vista device manager shows my card as 5007 BT3 shows it as 5006EG. I guess if it works then I can forget about it. I thought originally my failure at cracking WEP had to do with my unpatched card.

3. Can someone explain the injection rate and its purpose very simply to me?

4. Also when I load Kismet it gives me the option to connect to ath0 or wifi0. When I try to connect to ath0 it doesn't start up. When I connect using wifi0 it works. Can someone explain this simply?

Thanks for any and all help....

Peace....

Hey, I'm a newbie and just came across your post, so thort id see if i can help
    the wifi0 and ath0 problem with kismet, if you want to see how the device's are configured, then simply type "iwconfig" in a shell konsole, within backtrack

Just burned his ISO

I have the same wireless card as you so I can help a little bit.

1)I am not sure what the ath checkbox is for but I click it, and have penetrated an AP with it checked, so it worked for me!

2)Your earlier problems could be due to an unpatched cards. On ubuntu I use a madwifi patch and this allows me to change the mode of my card and inject packets. I think BT3 includes a madwifi patch as well.

3)About injection I do not know the technical aspects, but basically it injects traffic on the target AP allowing you to collect a lot more packets to analyze to determine the AP key at a fast rate with no clients connected. The rate is obviously how fast the injection goes. This is limited by your wireless card and cpu (I believe) I just leave it at default.

4)Kismet specifies that for madwifi patched cards you must use wifi0. As far as I can tell wifi0 is the parent interface for your card. In the newer versions of kismet if there is no card in monitor mode it wil create an interface itself (kis0).

I have toyed around a bit with spoon-wep kismet and other tools. Just learning all these new tools myself!

For those new to Linux backtrack is not for newbies everything in backtrack is done from the Command prompt.. learn Slax or Ubuntu than try your hand at backtrack..

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crowheart View Post
    I am very new to Linux, but I plan on learning a lot more. I have been trying to get the WEP key from my Uncle's AP. He lives next door and I did get his permission.
    Thanks for any and all help....
    Actually the reason that you can't achieve victory here is because what you are doing is most likely illegal.
    Yes we have heard the story before about "my uncle, my neighbor, my best friend's dog's ap" and the "I have permission". I think some people call this karma.
    So the best thing to do is not not try and hack "stuff" you should not, and when you do or do not don't come talking about it on a public forum its against the rules.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Actually the reason that you can't achieve victory here is because what you are doing is most likely illegal.
    Yes we have heard the story before about "my uncle, my neighbor, my best friend's dog's ap" and the "I have permission". I think some people call this karma.
    So the best thing to do is not not try and hack "stuff" you should not, and when you do or do not don't come talking about it on a public forum its against the rules.
    Nothing like surfing pr0n in the dog house.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

i believe the 'ath' option should be checked if you have an atheros based card but i haven't seen any documentation on it yet so you should probably search the forums for more info