Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grub : Automatically start X

Just burned his ISO

Default Grub : Automatically start X

Hi all,

I have Backtrack multibooting on my machine and I would like to know how to configure Grub2 to automatically boot BT on Graphic Mode.

I had the following line : autoexec=startx

But it didn't work, when booting Backtrack, I still have to type my login information and the startx command.

Am I wrong ?

Thank your for your help.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Grub : Automatically start X

Up !

Can somebody help me with my simple question ?

Thank you

*sigh*

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ical-mode.html

Please search before posting.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Default Grub : Automatically start X

Hi,

Sorry, I have to post again for the same subject as my previous post (here : http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...y-start-x.html) is locked !!!

The answer given by lupin didn't solved my problem.

And yes, I've searched before asking !

lupin, you suggest me to install kdm : that's what I did and this is not what I wanted to do : with kdm, I can't log anymore in root !

What I would like to do is to edit the Grub configuration files in order to automatically arrive on the desktop when booting Backtrack.

That's what I successfully did whith Backtrack 3 with adding this line on Grub : autoexec=startx

But it don't work anymore with Backtrack 3.

Thx for help.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

I have merged and opened the thread back up. In the future to prevent such actions being taken I would suggest you be more specific about the actual problem/s.
    So as for your problem kdm will allow you the option of doing a "console login" and at this login you can log on as root. Also if the answer you were given is not what you wanted to do then don't do it. No one forced you to install kdm to your system. If you did it then that means it's because you wanted to. Furthermore unless you had some special setup with BT3 then you had the default boot loader and that was lilo and not grub. Which certainly is not what you stated in your first post. Furthermore just because you search here and do not find an answer does not mean that the problem must not exist. There is a ton of info on all of the above at google.com.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 02-15-2010 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by user31 View Post
    Hi,

Sorry, I have to post again for the same subject as my previous post (here : http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...y-start-x.html) is locked !!!

The answer given by lupin didn't solved my problem.

And yes, I've searched before asking !

lupin, you suggest me to install kdm : that's what I did and this is not what I wanted to do : with kdm, I can't log anymore in root !

What I would like to do is to edit the Grub configuration files in order to automatically arrive on the desktop when booting Backtrack.

That's what I successfully did whith Backtrack 3 with adding this line on Grub : autoexec=startx

But it don't work anymore with Backtrack 3.

Thx for help.
    Using something like kdm is the generally recommended way in which to boot to a KDE Desktop. The "cant logon on as root issue", if it occurs, can be resolved with a configuration file change (Google for the error message you get). You can also configure it to login as a particular user automatically if you wish.

We also don't support BackTrack 3 here anymore.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Well,

Thank you for reopened the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel.Amael
    Also if the answer you were given is not what you wanted to do then don't do it. No one forced you to install kdm to your system. If you did it then that means it's because you wanted to.
    Obviously, I wasn't complaining about the fact that the answer given didn't solve my problem.
    It's always nice to see people trying to help.

But I was complaining about the fact that the thread was locked without a word and because I can't answer anything !

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel.Amael
    Furthermore unless you had some special setup with BT3 then you had the default boot loader and that was lilo and not grub. Which certainly is not what you stated in your first post.
    I was multibooting with Ubuntu which default bootloader is Grub .............

Quote Originally Posted by lupin
    Using something like kdm is the generally recommended way in which to boot to a KDE Desktop. The "cant logon on as root issue", if it occurs, can be resolved with a configuration file change (Google for the error message you get). You can also configure it to login as a particular user automatically if you wish.We also don't support BackTrack 3 here anymore.
    Oops. I meant it don't work anymore with Backtrack 4 (not 3).

Ok, thank you. I will search how to edit the configuration files in order to be able to boot in root with kdm.

Thank you for your help anyway, I will try to help myself now.

And sorry for the misunderstanding.

I should change my nick to spoonfeeder...
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...o-booting.html

Just burned his ISO

alternative is install gdm and setup as root autologin and user to autolog.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    alternative is install gdm and setup as root autologin and user to autolog.
    You mean kdm since gdm is for gnome and BT uses KDE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast