Thread: BT3 bootable CD or USB with 2.6.25 kernel via Windows?

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy BT3 bootable CD or USB with 2.6.25 kernel via Windows?

I've been lurking around here for a while now and finally decide to join up.

I dl the usb version, make it bootable and whatnot, and I reboot. I get to the login part of bt3, then when i type 'startx', it blackscreens me for a sec, then it gives me a screen full of errors saying the screen isnt supported, text file missing... FINE.

Ok. so i download the bt3 iso, burn it to a disc. i run it and it works fine, but i find out that my wireless is currently unsupported (intel 4965 a/b/g/n). So I google a solution, I find out i have to update the kernel to 2.6.25.

My question is... Is it possible to make bt3 bootable cd in windows with the 2.6.25 kernel? If not, is it possible to make a bootable flash drive with the new kernel in windows?

Installing BT3 on my hd is not really an option.

I'm a total noob with linux and I really don't want to buy a new wireless card just to do a little experimentation in bt3.

Just burned his ISO

I can't post links yet (only 8 posts) but I found this in a response to a very similar question.hope it helps, personally I would suggest posting the errors you get with the USB installation, given that it's much more convienent to load the .lzm's.
    hatake_kakashi
    03-16-2008, 10:18 AM
    1) you can either remaster the disc which is more suitable than creating lzm files which may not overwrite the files that already exist with the other lzm that are already loaded
    2) you have to write a script to mount the lzm files seperately because a burnt cd cannot be remastered again unless the session has not been closed, but then again, there are no point in doing so.

[edit] You no longer need ndiwrapper, intel has released a linux driver which you'll probably need to compile and install but i doubt you'll have to update your kernel, same thing happened to me with my RALINK 802.11n chipset. I still can't post a link to the driver but just go to intel's site support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025330

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by D3f4Z10 View Post
    I can't post links yet (only 8 posts) but I found this in a response to a very similar question.hope it helps, personally I would suggest posting the errors you get with the USB installation, given that it's much more convienent to load the .lzm's.
    hatake_kakashi
    03-16-2008, 10:18 AM
    1) you can either remaster the disc which is more suitable than creating lzm files which may not overwrite the files that already exist with the other lzm that are already loaded
    2) you have to write a script to mount the lzm files seperately because a burnt cd cannot be remastered again unless the session has not been closed, but then again, there are no point in doing so.

[edit] You no longer need ndiwrapper, intel has released a linux driver which you'll probably need to compile and install but i doubt you'll have to update your kernel, same thing happened to me with my RALINK 802.11n chipset. I still can't post a link to the driver but just go to intel's site support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025330
    So i got bt3 running on the USB by using the regular iso.

When I follow the instructions at intellinuxwireless.org for installing the driver, it says I have to install the mac 80211 subsystem package, but before I can do that, I need the "kernel sources" installed, which I don't. They didnt bother telling me how to do that because it is distribution specific...great.

At this point, I'm just scratchin my head and can't really make any sense of anything.

Maybe it would be alot easier to buy a pcmcia wireless card that is on the compatibility list. The list for bt3 beta is the same for the final version right?

Any suggestions?

Just burned his ISO

Im assuming this is where you got your source?
    hxxp://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2753&OS FullName=Linux*&lang=eng&strOSs=39&submit=Go%21
    and this being your guide
    hxxp://downloadmirror.intel.com/10315/ENG/INSTALL
    to an extent your question has already been answered apart from the bit about upgrading on a USB
    hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=15196&highlight=usb+kernel+update
    as far as upgrading the kernel on a USB pureh@te seems to have good insight in this thread
    hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=15273&highlight=upgrade+kernel+us b
    This should help you get the kernel installed, if you're still confused after you'd read this stuff carefully let us know.
    Don't get discouraged, I've been working at this for a little while and its best to keep trying.

Just burned his ISO

hey,
    did u have any success with this
    coz i want to do the same thing..