Thread: ipw2200 and airodump-ng with rtap0

Just burned his ISO

Default ipw2200 and airodump-ng with rtap0

First of all, thanks for this neat distro that will do everything out of the box for us! Keep up the good work!

Ive got some problems regarding the ipw2200 kernel driver and yes ive googled a lot and browsed this forum, regardless of the answers i cannot get it working.

i started by doing this the first time i installed backtrack 3 final to the harddrive.

rmmod ipw2200
    modprobe ipw2200 rtap_iface=1
    now i activate the airmon-ng on the ipw2200 device. And i started a basic "show all" scan to gather information on active access points.

airmon-ng start eth0
    airodump-ng rtap0
    This shows a normal airodump-ng screen wich seems to work, altho the beacons are not comming in fast and most data is not logged. Once i know wich access point i want, i start all over. Lets say i want access point 00:11:22:33:44:55 with channel 2.

airmon-ng stop eth0
    airmon-ng start eth0 2
    airodump-ng -c 2 --bssid 00:11:22:33:44:55 -w capture rtap0
    But for some odd reason, no data is comming in and the beacons arent comming in fast. Ive even verified this with a test setup access point with one client connected. When i use airodump-ng on the eth0 device, it does work fast and i can see the data comming in. Regardless of this issue, i followed the ipw2200 howto's further.

Since the ipw2200 cannot use the deauth attack we have to use the arpreplay attack. Lets say some client on the access point is 11:22:33:44:55:66.

aireplay-ng --arpreplay -b 00:11:22:33:44:55 -c 11:22:33:44:55:66 -i rtap0 eth0
    For some reason this doesnt appear to be working. airodump-ng now shows "fixed channel device rtap0: 0". Wich means rtap0 is active on channel 0 (Sometimes it even cycles??). Even aireplay-ng says rtap0 is on channel 0, but access point is on channel 2. Ive read some howto's on this, but still this error keeps comming up.

One more odd thing, when i change my eth0 mac adress it seems to change back to my hardware one. Is macchanger overuling the ifconfig?

Just burned his ISO

me too i have the same problem , any help out there , thanks

maybe I've missed something but since when has eth0 been anything other than the onboard wired lan interface?

Just burned his ISO

I have this problem as well. Maybe the ipw2200 driver is not patched properly in BT3?

Whatever, it does not work. It's a pain because my Thinkpad won't take any other card without patching the BIOS, and all the USB/PCMCIA cards suck for range.