Thread: Installing BT3 final on HD - results following HOWTO

Default Installing BT3 final on HD - results following HOWTO

I'm trying to install bt3 onto my laptop's hd, and I followed the howto up above (since I can't post links yet).

Now, there are a few things I don't understand:

1) why removing the installer??

2) With this command:
    cp --preserve -R /{bin,dev,home,pentest,root,usr,etc,lib,opt,sbin,va r} /mnt/backtrack/

I obtain this:

cp: cannot stat `/{bin,dev,home,pentest,root,usr,etc,lib,opt,sbin,va ': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `r}': No such file or directory

3) About this command:
    mount --bind /dev/ /mnt/backtrack/dev/

the /mnt/backtrack/dev/ directory must first be created, and in the tutorial is not said.

4) With this command:
    chroot /mnt/backtrack/ /bin/bash

I obtain this:

chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

But /bin/bash exists, if you try to create it it says it already exists.

I partitioned my partition like this:

100 mb for /boot in ext3
    0.85 gb linux swap
    8 gb ext3 in /

The rest is windows xp.
    After I've done all the stuff in the tutorial, I reboot and it just loads windows, no trace of lilo...

Can anybody help? Please...

Just burned his ISO

2) remove the space in "va r"
    cp --preserve -R /{bin,dev,home,pentest,root,usr,etc,lib,opt,sbin,va r} /mnt/backtrack/

3) will be fixed when you copy the "va r" folder
    4) no idea -_-
    After I've done all the stuff in the tutorial, I reboot and it just loads windows, no trace of lilo...
    execute lilo first by runing "lilo -v" after configuring it of course according to your hdd partitions.
    good luck

I managed to install BT3 (or at least copying a lot of things ) thanks to a topic here in the forum (wish I could link!), but when I try to load, it says:

Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init=option to kernel.

Dude, you should seriously consider installing Ubuntu linux instead.

Developer

The tutorial is really simple.
    2) With this command:

I obtain this:

cp: cannot stat `/{bin,dev,home,pentest,root,usr,etc,lib,opt,sbin,va ': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `r}': No such file or directory
    The error in the var line of cp I noted in the tutorial. For some reason the vbulliten software put a space there I couldnt get rid of.

3) About this command:
    mount --bind /dev/ /mnt/backtrack/dev/

the /mnt/backtrack/dev/ directory must first be created, and in the tutorial is not said.
    The dev directory is created in the cp command which you obviously didnt do correctly.

1) why removing the installer??
    The installer was removed for a few reasons the primary reason being that backtrack is meant to run as a usb or live cd and is not really meant to be installed as a hard drive install. There is also assumption that if you are using back track surely you can install a linux distro via the shell.

4) With this command:
    chroot /mnt/backtrack/ /bin/bash

I obtain this:

chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

But /bin/bash exists, if you try to create it it says it already exists.
    At this point you are simply doing it wrong or have messed something up. When you get a error you dont just keep going you fix it.
    Obviously you have not run lilo -v from the chroot enviorment. The reason I know this is because if you didnt chroot to work then there is no possible way you could have run lilo.

Your best bet is to buy a damn USB key and run backtrack in the way the devs intended however if you insist on a hard drive install then I would recommend reformatting and starting over paying closer attention to the commands and maybe even reading the man page of each command so you know what the hells going on.

Quote Originally Posted by xCPPx View Post
    Dude, you should seriously consider installing Ubuntu linux instead.
    Already done, but on other computers. On this I need backtrack. Glad you were born knowing already linux.

Ok, I managed to install bt3 onto my hard drive, and I downloaded grub instead of lilo, since I know already how to use it.
    After the login, thou, it begin to load the kernel, but after a while it says:

Maybe did I do something wrond in grub settings?

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post

There is also assumption that if you are using back track surely you can install a linux distro via the shell.
    I start to think this is the mai reason, since you already had it and it was effortless leaving it there...

Your best bet is to buy a damn USB key and run backtrack in the way the devs intended
    That would have been great, unfortunatly I've already tryed that way, but, guess what? My notebook doesn't allow usb boot... This is why I'm obliged to install it onto the hd...

Thanks for your help pureh@te, and sorry if I ask dumb questions, but I'm trying to learn deep linux...

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by akd110 View Post
    Ok, I managed to install bt3 onto my hard drive, and I downloaded grub instead of lilo, since I know already how to use it.
    After the login, thou, it begin to load the kernel, but after a while it says:

Maybe did I do something wrond in grub settings?

I start to think this is the mai reason, since you already had it and it was effortless leaving it there...

That would have been great, unfortunatly I've already tryed that way, but, guess what? My notebook doesn't allow usb boot... This is why I'm obliged to install it onto the hd...

Thanks for your help pureh@te, and sorry if I ask dumb questions, but I'm trying to learn deep linux...
    uhm, I think you should use lilo since it's simpler than grub. JUst change a litle bit in the default lilo.conf, you'll get the things done
    I also have this problem, but I dun think it's because of "va r" :lol:, since I do the install work myself without reading the tutorial . But after that, I tried
    cp --preserve -R bin dev home pentest root usr etc lib opt sbin var /mnt/backtrack/
    and it worked

Developer

Its not a dumb question its just that the tutorial works fine. Many people have used it with success and as a matter of fact I derived most of it from the dual boot video by muts who is one of the 3 main backtrack developers. All I'm saying is that you guys that are having problems its probably because you entered a command wrong. For example...
    Code:
    cp --preserve -R bin dev home pentest root usr etc lib opt sbin var /mnt/backtrack/
    This is the completely wrong syntax for this command and I amazed it worked. I can only assume that this user doesn't use many tools because chances are some stuff didn't get copied right. He is sure to have problems down the road.

Once again my advice is to start over and do it again. You are over complicating things.