Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Wireless Security and PenTesting - Suggestions?

Default Portable Wireless Security and PenTesting - Suggestions?

Hello All,

So I have the following devices.

iPaq H2200 + 1GB CF + a/b/g 802.11 CF

Sony PSP (FAT) + 4GB Storage + Pandora Battery (and "magic memory stick")

Targus IR Keyboard

My Attempts at finding a solution for running any form of linux on the PSP has been less than fruitfull, (uClinux looks to be the most promising at the moment), and the tools available to custom firmwares are lacking to say the least ...

Idealy what I want to achive is a tool set to allow for netstumbler esq wireless survey, and basic pentesting, without the need to lump my laptop around with me everytime I go out to a site, I have been looking at the Asus EEE, and from what I can see on the forums, it seems like the popular option.

Any suggestions, on anythign I can do with the iPaq / PSP? (Suggestions on rocket propelled devices, high altitude "bounce testing", and paper weights not required )

Thanks.

Don't forget the Zaurus, too

Both the iPaq (many models) and Zaurus can accommodate many of the "standard" tools.
    For the tiniest option, I would recommend the Zaurus
    There are many Linux projects for the various iPaq models.
    http://www.ipaqlinux.com/
    http://familiar.handhelds.org/

As for the PSP, I have no idea! I'm sure someone else can comment on that

But it depends on what size device you are really looking for.
    There are now many 7" to 9" screen sized devices appearing on the market, like the eeepc.
    BT has been designed to run on the eeepc nicely, which should give you a fairly well-rounded "portable kit" out of the box. That is probably the simplest solution, imho, as you don't need to deal with the many eccentricities of running such tools on a handheld.

I just googled Linux on the psp

there where a couple of links that you may/or may not find useful

uClinux on psp

windows and linux on the psp

Quote Originally Posted by m1cha3l View Post
    I just googled Linux on the psp

there where a couple of links that you may/or may not find useful

uClinux on psp

windows and linux on the psp

Never been a huge fan of bochs, although the idea in itself is a good one. I just imagine this taking forever and a day to get running the way you'd want it, at least as far as a PenTesting solution goes. Also, expect some very sluggish performance, especially with tools such as metasploit and ettercap. Keyboard support is probably a no go as well

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

I haven't looked into it myself just thought these links could be useful. You are correct though no keyboard support, from what i did read.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    Never been a huge fan of bochs, although the idea in itself is a good one. I just imagine this taking forever and a day to get running the way you'd want it, at least as far as a PenTesting solution goes. Also, expect some very sluggish performance, especially with tools such as metasploit and ettercap. Keyboard support is probably a no go as well
    I agree looks like it's VM software, meaning emulated hardware ... not something you would want on a system with only 32mb of available ram (PSP 1000), and then there's the CPU usage to think about.

With the PSP 1000 you can tweak the CPU clock depending on what you want to do (333mhz max), by using VM's I'm pretty sure the CPU would need to me maxed all the time, reducing battery life if nothing else.

Thanks for the links though m1cha3l

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post

BT has been designed to run on the eeepc nicely, which should give you a fairly well-rounded "portable kit" out of the box. That is probably the simplest solution, imho, as you don't need to deal with the many eccentricities of running such tools on a handheld.
    I will more than likely go down the EEE pc route, but in the meantime I would still like to hear more ideas about the PSP and PDA, who knows what sort of evil device could be created?

I particularly like the idea of using the PSP despite its small amount of ram due to the screen size. (And the fact no one else has tried it yet, that I am aware of).

Specs comparison:

iPaq h2200

CPU MAX: 472mhz (400mhz default)
    RAM: 64MB
    Storage: CF / SD
    Connectivity: iR, Bluetooth, CF or SDIO WiFi (802.11a/b/g) wireless
    Additional: Touch Screen

Sony PSP

CPU MAX: 333mhz
    RAM: 32MB
    Storage: MagicGate Memory Stick
    Connectivity: Inbuilt WiFi (802.11b)

Use a zaurus, you can get them on ebay. Search for handheld backtrack here on the forums. You'll see a couple pictures of the one I used to have running different tools. You'll also see a few other small devices running different BT applications. The Z is the way to go if you don't want to fiddle with it a whole bunch, there will be some, but not as much as other small devices. One more thing, can you imagine trying to hack out command line commands on the psp. That would be like trying to write war and peace on a moto razer.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    One more thing, can you imagine trying to hack out command line commands on the psp. That would be like trying to write war and peace on a moto razer.

Yes but I allready have the IR Keyboard working the the PSP ;-) full QWERTY

Quote Originally Posted by Oneiroi View Post
    Hmm, never seen a full sized keyboard for the psp. There is/was a wireless scanner built for the psp. I don't know if it's still being worked on though.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Oneiroi View Post
    I know we've already talked about the disadvantages of bochs, but have you tested the compatability between it and your IR keyboard by any chance?

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast