Thread: Alfa AWUS036H Stability problems, can you help?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Alfa AWUS036H Stability problems, can you help?

Hi

I share a net connection with a friend across the street, with my Alfa and a Yagi antenna the signal streangth and link quality is around 60%, but it has recently started to cut out every few minutes, when I refresh the network list I pick up another signal which is 95-100% but not the 60% one, if I unplug and plug it back in it works again for another few minutes.

It is definately not the connection or AP itself cutting out as it's always available instantly after I have plugged the Alfa back in, and my friend is not reporting any cut outs.

In BT2 the signal gets lost but It seems to resolve the problem itself and reconnect instantly, so I don't even notice it, apart from the message box saying the connection has been lost.

In windows I have to either unplug and replug or click repair, any ideas ?

(apart from always using BT, as this is not an option unfortunately.)

Thanks in advance for your help !

Mike

Are you using the WirelessAssistant?,
    If so, then its a known problem

Quote Originally Posted by anathema View Post
    Are you using the WirelessAssistant?,
    If so, then its a known problem
    I second that. Personally I have not experienced any problems regarding the reliability of the connection using my Alfa 500mw since I switched from the Wireless Assistant to using the command line instead.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for your advice guys, yeah I was using wireless assistant, though WA is ok for me, as even if it comes up with "connection lost" messages the connection never suffers.

I emailed the fleebay seller I bought it from, and to my amazement he has actually offered to replace it ! A rare fleebay merchant indeed.

Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikeote View Post
    I emailed the fleebay seller I bought it from, and to my amazement he has actually offered to replace it ! A rare fleebay merchant indeed.
    Replacing a perfectly fine piece of hardware due to software related issues seems like a rather foolish act to me.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

I'm not sure it's software related, considering it started to happen with out any software changes.

A hardware problem which is troublesome on windows may not be as bad on linux.

Just burned his ISO

"Be very careful out there today, we're at terror alert orange! Which means something might go down somewhere in some way at some point in time. "

Haha, nice sig, made me laugh out loud.