Thread: Intel® Graphics X3100 & Google Earth

Hybrid View

Default Intel® Graphics X3100 & Google Earth

I have the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 on my laptop. After installing Google Earth, and trying to run it on the bt3 OS, I get booted out of the desktop. My laptop also dual boots with Vista. When I'm in Vista I can run Google Earth, so I know my graphics card should be able to 'handle' Google Earth. I tried booting up bt3 with the different boot options but I'm continously booted out of bt3 when I try to launch Google Earth. Any idea on what I can do to fix this problem ?

thanks.

p.s. I know bt3 is for pentesting etc... but I think it is an awesome OS so I use it as my main OS to do everything.

I just installed google earth and it crashes on me as well. It boots me out of the GUI and back to the command prompt where I issue the command startx to get back into the GUI. I have an ATI X1400 card so my issue most likely is different but it isn't confined to your graphics card. I did a quick google search and found that some people were also having problems with Google Earth in slackware. Someone posted that if you run the following command and get the corresponding output then Google Earth will crash.
    Code:
    bt~# glxinfo | grep rendering
    direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
    In my case I just had to reinstall the ATI drivers from ati.amd.com. But I also built the tgz file for Google Earth from slackbuilds.org. I'm not sure if the last sentence is pertinent but it seemed to work for me.
    Also from that same post there was a link on how to enable DRI for various cards. This is an old post but could be useful as it has been recently updated.
    xxx.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/a-guide-enabling-3d-acceleration-in-x11-402003/
    Replace xxx with www as the forum complains that I can't post external links yet. I hope this helps.