Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing Bt3 Final, w/Lilo, dualboot w/xp

Just burned his ISO

Default dual boot problem (boot to windows XP)

Sorry disturbing you again...

From lilo22.8 boot menu:
    I'm having problem when trying boot to windows XP. The error is "a disk read r occurred press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart". Boot to bt3 it's working fine no problem. How to fix this?

Ummm, I think you might be screwed. I'm not trying to be mean, but in my "adventures" with finding a good partition manager, I had this same problem with a drive and got that error even after a DoD format and several attempts at a reinstall. Weird thing is, that the drive works just fine as a slave in another computer. Try to wipe it clean, and start over after a full format, you might get lucky.... Or maybe not
    If anybody has any better answers, I'd love to hear one, even after googling for a few days nothing popped up for me. Now my 20 gig lives happily as my 4 gigs bitch....
    Such is life.

Quote Originally Posted by sheikh76 View Post
    Sorry disturbing you again...

From lilo22.8 boot menu:
    I'm having problem when trying boot to windows XP. The error is "a disk read r occurred press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart". Boot to bt3 it's working fine no problem. How to fix this?
    I had the same problem few days back. It happened when my computer shutdown improperly due to power fluctuuations.
    I just booted into BT, mounted and umounted my XP partitions and XP booted fine after that. try running a disk check. Most likely its due to some bad sectors on disk
    [FONT="System"][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]I am not arrogant, just better than you.[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Just burned his ISO

I Made everything, made the partitions and configured lilo, but when I tried to execute "lilo -v", it gave me a Read Only error and that the changes couldn't be written. How can that be changed?

EDIT: I'm Also Interested if I 1st Install Backtrack 3, then I install Windows XP, what needs to be altered? I Just execute Lilo with edited settings and edited source:
    Code:
    other=/dev/sda4
    label=WinXP
    table=/dev/sda

What I think has happened, is that when you rewrote your partition table, you didn't reboot like the destructions told you to. So start over at the point where you are installing Backtrack and you should be fine.

I always install Windows first, microsoft products are kind of a bitch like that, just happier in my experience. Don't get me wrong, If there is something that works, use it no matter the brand. But I've had better luck letting xp be first on the list.

Just burned his ISO

Ok well i was having a similar issue, this whole weekend really, and decided to post here instead of making a new thread. the problem im having is trying to dual boot BT3 and Windows XP on 2 seperate HD's. I have both operating system's running but when i go to reconfigure Lilo at the very end it says "1 warning issued" or something to that degree. Not really sure what the warning is since i can't think of the command to view what it was. But even with that, both OS's are installed, both OS's run on the individual HD's when i unplug one and remove it from the equation, but when i try to run it off Lilo: BT3 will run perfectly fine like it should and when i load Windows XP it just says "Loading Windows...." and will sit there for about 20-30 minutes or until i decide to completely turn off the computer and say to hell with it.

Now i dont have the computer sitting in front of me (since i had to go back to campus and attend classes this week) and it wont be touched until this weekend. im going to go back and see if somehow the windows XP HD got corrupted in some way/shape/form but other then that i cant think of any reason it wouldn't work. Any suggestions? If i missed something with this topic in the forum plz feel free to link it and tell me to stfu too

I think I may be screwed... just read all this after trying another thread that told me to resize using qtparted... well right now qtparted seems to have stopped responding, while its resizing... I have most everything on other hard drives, but I really hope within the next hour it responds or finishes...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12