Thread: Upgrade kernel? => 2.6.25

Just burned his ISO

Default Upgrade kernel? => 2.6.25

How do I upgrade the kernel in BT3?
    Cause of some drivers that are needed to get my wifi card to work for injections, I must have the kernel => 2.6.25.
    But as I get it "slapt-get --dist-upgrade" only get it up to 2.6.21.

May someone help me out please?
    Would be much appreciated!

Developer

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...41&postcount=1

That should get you started and there is also lots of info on google on kernel rebuilding. I can help if you run into any specific problems.

Just burned his ISO

It dint take action...
    It dint look like any errors came out. But that may cause of some failed tries that I had to upgrade the kernel. I will reinstall backtrack, and try it ones again.

Just burned his ISO

I tried with a fresh install of BT3, but it dint work
    I did it all as instructed, apart from the bootsplash part.
    Everything lookt like it went ok, no serious errors of any kind.
    And when I rebooted it sad that the kernel still was 2.6.21 and when I tried to hook it up to my own wifi, it sad that it was no kind of wifi device.
    And the iwconfig did only print lo and eth0.

Could this come from the xconfig? Since I dint actually look trough that list.

I compiled a new kernel last night. I didn't follow the tutorial that pureh@te provided but I did follow something similar from a different website. There were 2 differences between Dr_GrEeN's tutorial and the one I followed. Right before running "make xconfig" I ran "make oldconfig". (On a side note, I ran "make menuconfig" instead of "make xconfig" as I'm more familiar with it) This will prompt you for all the new options that are available since your current .config file was compiled. I'm assuming that running "make xconfig" will update the .config regardless of running "make oldconfig" but the tutorial I used said to run it. The other one was that I didn't run "make install" and instead I manually copied the appropriate files to the boot directory. I use grub instead of lilo and so "make install" would have overwritten the MBR. Its an easy fix back to grub but I avoided it. The tutorial I followed is at the following link.

hxxp://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=linux:kernelbuilding

As far as having the old kernel being loaded, I'm just as confused as you are. This should have been automatically upgraded with the new kernel. When I booted up my new kernel, the modules were automatically loaded. This may be a stupid question but did you compile your wireless drivers into the new kernel when you ran "make xconfig"? When I was compiling the new kernel I had to enable my wireless card. From this section all of the wireless cards weren't selected and I had to enable them all. What driver were you trying to compile?

Good luck on the new kernel. It took me 3 tries to get it right. The first compile resulted in a kernel panic.

Just burned his ISO

I am having the Intel Wifi Link or what ever, the thing is that its running the iwl4965 driver. Which ofcourse isnt fully ready. But there are som drivers to use.
    But they are only suiteble for kernel => 2.6.25.9.
    And bam, theres the problem. And yes, I checkt the network section in the xconfig, and they where all "dotted", exept of the debug things.

But I got some confused about your post, did, or did you not got a new kernel up and running? Since if you did, it could be the method I used to upgrade, if not, it could be something in the Backtrack?

But I got some confused about your post, did, or did you not got a new kernel up and running?
    heres your answer from larryhajas post

It took me 3 tries to get it right. The first compile resulted in a kernel panic.

Quote Originally Posted by SyntaXe View Post
    I am having the Intel Wifi Link or what ever, the thing is that its running the iwl4965 driver. Which ofcourse isnt fully ready. But there are som drivers to use.
    But they are only suiteble for kernel => 2.6.25.9.
    And bam, theres the problem. And yes, I checkt the network section in the xconfig, and they where all "dotted", exept of the debug things.

But I got some confused about your post, did, or did you not got a new kernel up and running? Since if you did, it could be the method I used to upgrade, if not, it could be something in the Backtrack?
    After rereading my previous post, I was also confused by my long winded statement. But, yes I did successfully compile a kernel. It was kernel version 2.6.25.9. I have the iwl3945 driver and I've been playing around with it in monitor mode.

I should also mention that when I ran "make" from the compat-wireless directory it complained about a Warning message that CONFIG_NETDEVICES_MULTIQUEUE was not defined. This maybe an insignificant warning but I did recompile this into the kernel to get rid of the message. I don't remember where it is located in the menu system but if you open up the .config file and change
    Code:
    # CONFIG_NETDEVICES_MULTIQUEUE is not set
    to
    Code:
    CONFIG_NETDEVICES_MULTIQUEUE=y
    in an editor of your choice then the warning should be gone.

mcurran

Bump... Need patched iwl4965 (Kernel>=2.6.25...) for injection or this whole system is useless to me, and pretty much everyone else with a new laptop. I successfully have BT3 on my HD with 1680x1050 res. - So I'm hoping I will be able to use it.