Thread: airolib-ng in a virtual machine

Default airolib-ng in a virtual machine

I have an Intel C2D E8400 and 2GB of ram system.

The other week I tried compiling a database using airolib-ng using my AP's SSID and a 135mb wordlist file. I did it by using the USB version of BT3 and booting into it. Even this took about 9-10 hours just to complete.

How much slower do you think it would be if I did it in a virtual machine, specifically using VirtualBox and the same USB BT3 ISO?

Quote Originally Posted by jkroeder View Post
    How much slower do you think it would be if I did it in a virtual machine, specifically using VirtualBox and the same USB BT3 ISO?
    Seeing as you would run two operating systems parallelly while using a very CPU demanding program I am going to say that you will see a clear drop in performance on airolib-ng’s part. To free up as many CPU cycles as possible for airolib-ng the best way would actually be to run BT3 in text-only mode.

That is in case you do not happen to own a qantum computer of course
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...omputer101.xml
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

thanks.

I find that aircrack-ng will still be fairly quick (500 - 600 k/s) or so in VirtualBox.

Compiling hashes myself seems like it would be too time consuming

Compiling hashes myself seems like it would be too time consuming
    This is in most cases indeed true.

hmm, well I decided to give it a shot anyway using a small 10mb wordlist with my own key copy and pasted in there to see how fast it would go.

During the batch sequence, airolib-ng was computing at an average of 560 PMK/s

Not bad!

hmm, well I decided to give it a shot anyway using a small 10mb wordlist with my own key copy and pasted in there to see how fast it would go.

During the batch sequence, airolib-ng was computing at an average of 560 PMK/s

Not bad!
    That is not bad at all, I wish my old Acer laptop would achieve speeds like that

well I guess I spoke too soon.

I tried again with a larger wordlist and let it run overnight. The first couple of hours, it went at about 560 PMK/s. Sometime during the night, it dropped to about 260 PMK/s and is also where it is currently at.

Hmm, I wonder why that is. I'm running it on a Core 2 Duo, so having it run in the background isn't a big deal.

Also, I was wondering how the PMK's are calculated. If there are, for example, 10 words in the wordlist and 2 SSID's, does that equal 20 PMK's?

well I guess I spoke too soon.

I tried again with a larger wordlist and let it run overnight. The first couple of hours, it went at about 560 PMK/s. Sometime during the night, it dropped to about 260 PMK/s and is also where it is currently at.

Hmm, I wonder why that is. I'm running it on a Core 2 Duo, so having it run in the background isn't a big deal.

Also, I was wondering how the PMK's are calculated. If there are, for example, 10 words in the wordlist and 2 SSID's, does that equal 20 PMK's?
    I can't really tell you why the PMK/s did drop a few hours into the process, as you are running the process alongside of another OS there can be a number of reasons for this. Make sure that you either disable your screensaver completely or change it to a black screen and disable all antivirus processes and other CPU intense programs while you run airolib-ng.

As for your second question, each password will have to be calculated for each individual SSID so 10 words for 2 SSIDs will equal 20 individual hashes.