Thread: Can't login with "root/toor"

Just burned his ISO

Default Can't login with "root/toor"

I decided to go ahead and install BT3 final on to my hard drive natively, all went well, I have lilo set up to boot into everything, however when I get to the log in screen I attempt to log in, and I simply can't. The liveCD works just fine, even when I drop out to a console and log in with the default password. I tried to chroot in and change the password, and add a user of my own as well, seeming successful when I logged back in, all was the same. I am not sure if I missed a file in copying everything or what, but the problem is fairly annoying.
    I am fairly well acquainted with linux, specifically slackware and arch, so there isn't a mass amount of noobery on my side .

I checked the MD5sum as well, and it was accurate.

Junior Member imported_spudgunman's Avatar

only time i have seen that is with MD5 missmatch try recovering the root password "google recover root"

Are you getting the logging into Home error or just an invalid password?

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Had the same problem with BT2 once, I fixed it just by burning a new cd with the lowest speed as possible. That fixed it (:
    - Poul Wittig

I had a similar problem when I created a bootable usb stick using the bt3_final. No matter how many times I re-created the bootable usb stick, I couldn't get past the "root/toor" logins. So I just downloaded the bt3_final_usb iso. Re-created the usb stick. Then I didn't have any problems with "root/toor" on my usb stick.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sylvestor2002 View Post
    I had a similar problem when I created a bootable usb stick using the bt3_final. No matter how many times I re-created the bootable usb stick, I couldn't get past the "root/toor" logins. So I just downloaded the bt3_final_usb iso. Re-created the usb stick. Then I didn't have any problems with "root/toor" on my usb stick.
    Did you check the md5sum for any of the instances of BT that you download? And if so were they correct for the version that you downloaded.
    Lost of people say that they have had problems with the logging portion of startup only to find out that the md5sum was incorrect. Even if it is off by one character it will not work properly.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Did you check the md5sum for any of the instances of BT that you download? And if so were they correct for the version that you downloaded.
    Lost of people say that they have had problems with the logging portion of startup only to find out that the md5sum was incorrect. Even if it is off by one character it will not work properly.
    Yes, I checked the md5sum. It was correct. I even reburned a new cd at a slower speed (as advised in another thread) and that did not seem to help either. That's why I resorted to downloading the usb version of bt3_final. I'm happy that this worked. I have it running now on my harddrive as well as a bootable usb stick.