Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using your real name?

penguin_to_bits

Default Using your real name?

I originally had a page or so written for this post but I've decide to just post an introduction first to see what kind of responses I get.

I'm curious as to why such a small proportion of contributors here go by their real name. If you look at forums and newsgroups that are full of people who have technical expertise, you'll see that the vast majority of contributors go by their real name, one reason being that they want to take the credit for what they post. On newsgroups such as comp.lang.c, there's contributors that have built up a magnificent reputation because they've posted under their real name for over a decade. When it comes to technical expertise, I see this site as no different. There are plenty of people here who have great expertise, and I think it would be great if these people were known for their expertise and for the contributions they make.

So what I want to ask is why do you not use your real name on this site? Is it because you're afraid it will harm your professional reputation, or perhaps even afraid of legal persecution?

I myself always post under my real name when I'm conversing over the internet... but when I signed up for this site I wasn't sure whether it was the kind of thing I wanted to be known for?

If someone isn't doing anything wrong, they shouldn't have any fear of harming their reputation or of legal persecution/prosecution.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

I am using the same login since 1993 when my university gave me a username of my first initial, last name. All servers were logged and attended by an operator. Everyone was expected to behave.

Today, everyone uses dynamic IP addresses, steals wifi, anonymous, and spam floods the internet. Don't know what to think of it now...

Quote Originally Posted by dattaway View Post
    Today, everyone uses dynamic IP addresses, steals wifi, anonymous, and spam floods the internet. Don't know what to think of it now...
    Maybe some people, but not everyone.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

I've never been big on nick names. Until reciently my name also gave you a rough idea of where I live! Almost all of the forums I'm a member of has my name.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

If it makes a difference, my name is Barry. Seriously I don't think it makes a difference. I prefer .lonewolf if that's ok with you.

I also think one Barry here is enough, don't you? lmao
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Developer

I don't care to use my real name, its Martin. I just use a nickname that I've always had since I was a teenager for various online and offline things. I know purehate doesn't really suit me however it has some sentimental value to me so I like it.

What makes you think balding_parrot isn't my real name ?

Funny, when I originally signed up I picked a random nick as I usually do not stick around forums for extended periods of time.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

well, I usually use the same handle m3gabyt3 (hence my blip.tv videos) but it was already in use
    so I sat & was watching transformers & there I found it... my samsung plasma sitting looking back at me (hence the name & aviator)

I dont really care if someone uses their real name or not, I kinda got to know the well known users here via their usernames so I'll stick to my guns

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast