Thread: BT3 not working with Lucent WaveLAN and Orinoco cards

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question BT3 not working with Lucent WaveLAN and Orinoco cards

Hi guys,

I've been playing around with BT3 and recently bought a dlink DWL-G122 that seems to work pretty well (despite limited range). I also fished out my older pcmcia Lucent WaveLAN Gold Turbo (PC24E-H-FC) and Lucent Orinoco Silver (PC24E-H-ET) as I was hoping to use a card with an antenna. Seems a few other ppl have had issues using these cards, although they're supposed to be quite reliable.

For some reason these cards aren't assigned an interface.

dmesg states
    pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
    pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia0.0
    pccard info shows
    PRODID_1="Lucent Technologies"
    PRODID_3="Version 01.01"
    From what I understand these cards should be run by the orinoco_cs module? However when I type lsmod, that module doesn't appear. ifconfig and iwconfig don't see the cards.

Is there something I'm missing?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

- BTracker

Just burned his ISO

Just to clarify, I also have a Cisco AIR-PCM352 pcmcia card that is recognised and works correctly (eth1).

Just burned his ISO

Orinoco drivers was excluded in BT3 Maybe somebody will tell you how to install it

Just burned his ISO

Why would the orinoco drivers be left out? The Wavelan drivers are there, but they don't seem to have any effect when I plug in the cards.

Anyone able to help out?

Just burned his ISO

I also have Avaya branded PC24E-H-FC that I would like to get working.

If anyone has one working with BT3 I would really appreciate instructions.

Default If you find it, let me know!

Please, Please, Please-- if you figure this out post back here and tell what you did to get it running (word for word would be awesome)
    I have the wavelan-ieee silver that's been upgraded to 8.72 firmware and it refuses to work outside of bt2 final, so any help on this would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks

Junior Member imported_spudgunman's Avatar

i thought it was replaced with the hostap drivers?

your milage may vary however see this thread for all the work thus far

muts wrote

* Installer - We didn't include one, stop whining.
    * Snort - Auto installs, has snortsam patches, can act as an IDS.
    * Karma-msf scripts -
    * Compiz in USB release.
    * Orinoco drivers excluded
    * Broadcom cards inject well now!
    * Several featured tools by SV - spoonwep, ezpwn, etc.
    * VMware Edition installed originally on VMware Server 1.0.6 - VMWare tools installed.
    * more updates to come...

I have a Proxim Orinoco WD-8470 Gold card and from what I read it should have Atheros chipset and work very well with BT. I have no problem in BT2. I just do airmon-ng start wifi0 as it says in the wiki and airodump-ng and more works fine. But when I booted up BT3 usb version and also did airmon-ng start wifi0, airodump-ng ath1 did not find any networks. As muts said above Orinoco drivers excluded in BT3. Does this mean my WD-8470 will not work in BT3 although it has Atheros chipset? Is it just cards with Orinoco chipset that does not work? Why would drivers for WD-8470 be left out? It is a widely used card. What I have learned is that cards with Hermes chipset used Orinoco drivers so they wont work in BT3, but Atheros chipset as in WD-8470 should work.

Edit: 2008-08-10
    I think Im gonna try to answer this my self. The Orinoco driver is used when you have a Hermes I chipset, this can be seen in the compability list at aircrack-ng homepage. And the list also says that this chipset does not support aireplay. So no wonder this driver has been removed in BT3. However other Proxim Orinoco cards like the WD-8470 use the Atheros chipset and is very well supported through the madwifi drivers.
    As for WD-8470 not working in BT3 must have been an user error since I got it to work now without doing anything