Thread: (Backtrack3+BETA to USB) Problem:"Could not find kernel image:linux" Solution, below:

Just burned his ISO

Default (Backtrack3+BETA to USB) Problem:"Could not find kernel image:linux" Solution, below:

If you happen to install backtrack 3 or backtrack 3 beta to USB and get the following error message when trying to boot from your thumb dirve:

SYSLINUX 3.36 2007-02-10 CBIOS copyright (C) 1994-2007 H Peter Anvin
    Could not find kernel image:linux
    boot: _

then the solution probably is to reformat your USB drive with FAT and not FAT32. I had this problem because my USB drive was too big to be formatted to FAT, and windows only allowed the FAT32 option. So I had to partition it, but even doing that from windows is impossible, since the disk management menu does NOT handle USB thunb drives (at least it wouldn't let me do anything). So get Partition manager from Paragon, and cut of a smaller chunk of your USB, then format it to FAT (FAT16) and repeat process. Hopefully everything will be working as they should.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Booklet View Post
    If you happen to install backtrack 3 or backtrack 3 beta to USB and get the following error message when trying to boot from your thumb dirve:

SYSLINUX 3.36 2007-02-10 CBIOS copyright (C) 1994-2007 H Peter Anvin
    Could not find kernel image:linux
    boot: _

then the solution probably is to reformat your USB drive with FAT and not FAT32. I had this problem because my USB drive was too big to be formatted to FAT, and windows only allowed the FAT32 option. So I had to partition it, but even doing that from windows is impossible, since the disk management menu does NOT handle USB thunb drives (at least it wouldn't let me do anything). So get Partition manager from Paragon, and cut of a smaller chunk of your USB, then format it to FAT (FAT16) and repeat process. Hopefully everything will be working as they should.

Why did you create another freakin thread with the same thing you just posted here?

This is colloquially known as a "double post" and no one like it so please don't do it again.
    Thank you
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Why did you create another freakin thread with the same thing you just posted here?
    Because this thread talks about exactly what the title says (so that other people can find/solve the problem easily), because I did elaborate a little bit more, and because this is in the backtrack bugs and fixes forum which is where this should be in the first place (so that, again, it will be found more easily and it may help developers fix this bug)!

I don't know why you should be upset about me trying to help other people get their copy to work or even help someone discover why this is happening in the first place. Just because what I did fulfils the criteria of being characterised as "double post" (though there are reaons for posting it here, as I mentioned), you don't have to act like a bot; Besides I only did this to help people, it's not that I'm filling the forums with useless questions/advertisements and whatnot.

Please understand that I'm just expressing my opinion, but if it really bothers this community that much, I guess I'll have to comply with that.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Booklet View Post
    Because this thread talks about exactly what the title says (so that other people can find/solve the problem easily), because I did elaborate a little bit more, and because this is in the backtrack bugs and fixes forum which is where this should be in the first place (so that, again, it will be found more easily and it may help developers fix this bug)!

I don't know why you should be upset about me trying to help other people get their copy to work or even help someone discover why this is happening in the first place. Just because what I did fulfils the criteria of being characterised as "double post" (though there are reaons for posting it here, as I mentioned), you don't have to act like a bot; Besides I only did this to help people, it's not that I'm filling the forums with useless questions/advertisements and whatnot.

Please understand that I'm just expressing my opinion, but if it really bothers this community that much, I guess I'll have to comply with that.
    Woah slow down buddy no one said that you were not helping anyone and that it was that bad. My only question was why did you double post.
    And of course you could have edited your other post with the changes.
    Now when some one does see them then they may get confused as to what the right answer is. Furthermore you could also pm'ed a mod and asked to have one of them deleted.
    But enough if it helps others out then you are right, it is a good thing.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.