Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slapt-get --update fix BT3 Final

Default slapt-get --update fix BT3 Final

The following link will help you fix the error 'sources failed to download, correct sources and rerun --update'. It also worked for me on BT3b.

http://airdump.net/papers/backtrack-...get-correcting

Pls let me know if there is a better way (or more sources) ... seem to remember a darkstar link from before...?

Cheers.
    "When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on!" - Thomas Jefferson.

Good friend of the forums

All I had to install was gnupg or gpgme. One was installed already, I don't remember which, I installed the other from slackware 12.1 and slapt-get works fine for me. Granted it took 400MB to upgrade to 12.1 but it was worth it. I would like to know why slapt-get was NOT a part of BT3 Final.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bofh28 View Post
    I would like to know why slapt-get was NOT a part of BT3 Final.
    Because muts and the dev team wanted it that way?
    No seriously I believe it has to do with this is a live cd distro and not meant to be installed to a hard drive so there would be no need for pkg manager.
    Also the amount of room that it takes up on the cd/dvd etc.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    No seriously I believe it has to do with this is a live cd distro and not meant to be installed to a hard drive so there would be no need for pkg manager.
    And anyone who feels the need to install it can easily do it with just a few keypresses using Fasttrack.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

I can understand the reasons for not including things that are not strictly speaking penetration testing software. I like that openoffice is NOT a part of the distro. kwrite is good enough for my needs.

I installed slapt-get so I can get the updates that I feel are necessary, like firefox and java. It would be embarrassing to have my BT installation be hacked because I was using an old version of firefox.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bofh28 View Post
    I can understand the reasons for not including things that are not strictly speaking penetration testing software. I like that openoffice is NOT a part of the distro. kwrite is good enough for my needs.

I installed slapt-get so I can get the updates that I feel are necessary, like firefox and java. It would be embarrassing to have my BT installation be hacked because I was using an old version of firefox.
    What could possibly be hacked from a live cd ?
    You might wanna re-read my post above.
    This is supposed to be a live cd, not some sort of hdd install. So in reality there would not be much to "hack" due to old firefox installs.
    In addition to that what about firefox | Help | Check for updates| in firefox itself?
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

What could possibly be hacked from a live cd ?
    You might wanna re-read my post above.
    This is supposed to be a live cd, not some sort of hdd install. So in reality there would not be much to "hack" due to old firefox installs.
    In addition to that what about firefox | Help | Check for updates| in firefox itself?
    Live cds/dvds are more of a pain for me. I have some large wordlists and each time I bruteforce a password it gets added to the wordlist. I also tweak BT to my style and needs. I add software, tweak the settings, change the background, etc. Each time I do that I would have to burn another cd/dvd. I do totally agree with you that there is not much to "hack" on live cd/dvd. If you get hacked, reboot, and everything is back to the way is was.

The USB with persistent settings might be an answer to that, but when I used that during BT3 beta everything was slow. Bootup slow, startx slow, kwrite slow. Only starting the applications was slow. I am guessing this is because everything is stored compressed and only decompressed when needed.

Since I have 250GB external usb hard drive that is dedicated to BT, why not actually do a real install and not worry about decompressing things.

I use Firefox 2 from an sdhc live with changes. Do I need to update Firefox then? Thanks.
    "When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on!" - Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by twocent$ View Post
    I use Firefox 2 from an sdhc live with changes. Do I need to update Firefox then? Thanks.
    Only if you want to.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Thanks for the link.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast