Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadcom 4312 [14e4:4315] [rev1]

Just burned his ISO

Default Broadcom 4312 [14e4:4315] [rev1]

Okay, I would like to point out that I am fairly new to all of this, yet before posting this I've spent several hours researching and have gotten no where.
    Firstly I'd like to say thanks for a few things like getting my Ethernet working I followed a few simple steps and managed to get that out of the way. Now the real concern is the wireless.

I've found the commands which detail my card so just for everyones information it's:

Broadcom 4312 [14e4:4315] [rev1]

So far I've followed about 3 different guides, I gathered that in order to get this card to work I would need to use something called a compat-wireless-2.6, since the current kernel on BackTrack4 is less than the supported value of 2.6.32, so I'd need to upgrade my kernel. So I tried doing this using these commands.

1$ wget http://wireless.kernel.org/download/...ss-2.6.tar.bz2
    2 $ tar -jxf compat-wireless-$(date -I).tar.bz2
    3 $ cd compat-wireless-$(date -I)
    4 $ wget http://patches.aircrack-ng.org/mac80...g+ack_v1.patch
    5$ patch -p1 < mac80211.compat08082009.wl_frag+ack_v1.patch
    6$ make
    7# make install

I try these commands, the first step downloads a documentation and within that I download the compat-wireless, then I extract it etc. Now once I'm im on step 4 I'm fine with downloading it, however step 5 doesn't work as it says: **** strip count l is not a number. So I skipped that step and did the following two steps, all fine, with certain errors but I assumed they would be normal?

Once I did that I followed the guide here: b43 - Linux Wireless, in particular the 'You are using the b43 driver from linux-2.6.25 or newer' section:

wget http://bu3sch.de/b43/fwcutter/b43-fwcutter-012.tar.bz2
    tar xjf b43-fwcutter-012.tar.bz2
    cd b43-fwcutter-012
    make
    cd ..

then

export FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR="/lib/firmware"
    wget http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/b...0.10.5.tar.bz2
    tar xjf broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
    cd broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver
    sudo ../../b43-fwcutter-012/b43-fwcutter -w "$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR" wl_apsta_mimo.o

I did exactly as shown above. Everything seemed to be fine.

Now when I try ifconfig lo (lo = my wireless) I get nothing.

Am I missing something, have I done something wrong? or is my chipset really not compatible? If so can someone suggest USB dongles that work out the box from a UK website.

Thanks in advance sorry for the long read.

Anyone? Any help will be appreciated :x
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 02-13-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Default Re: Broadcom 4312 [14e4:4315] [rev1]

Yea broadcom blows with backtrack support and injection does not work. So I would get a usb dongle like you said, I currently have the alfa AWUS036H b/g 1000mW which I picked up from amazon for $40. Here it is on Amazon UK: 1000mW 1W 802.11b/g USB Wireless WiFi Adapter With: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Quote Originally Posted by Emiree View Post
    Am I missing something, have I done something wrong? or is my chipset really not compatible? If so can someone suggest USB dongles that work out the box from a UK website.
    I just red the title and this last part I quoted. Broadcom is commonly called "broadcrap" for a reason. Support for Broadcom is really poor under linux. Some have reported some Broadcom chipsets as working, but I don't think it's worth the hassle of trying to make them to work.
    So, regarding your last question, I would advise you to buy an Alfa AWUS036H. I bought mine from Germany trough eBay, but I found many from UK. You should take a look at that (just enter ebay.co.uk). You may take a look at other cards, the final decision is yours and all will depend on your preferences. Just be sure to check if it is injection capable.

Just burned his ISO

i tried the patch which was on the ubuntu forums for 2.6.33 but the scripts were broken and the patch caused a kernel panick. i've found the default kernel works pretty well with the 14E4:4315 card.

Small tutorial i wrote to get a BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01 - 14E4:4315) working properly ( injection and monitor )

***WARNING***
    if you do patch your kernel you will get no support on the backtrack forums and after a conversation with puteh@te it looks like there is a number of tools in BT4 that will require you to recompile there kernel modules to work with the 2.6.32 kernel
    ***WARNING***

i'm assuming your all logged in as root, if not su root or sudo.

if you have 2 kernels installed the boot partition usually isnt big enough for 3 so you need to cd /boot and the oldest one, but make SURE the one you leave boots properly so if there is any problems you can go back and fix it so lets say 2.6.29 is my oldest kernel and 2.6.30 is my newest.

Code:
    cd /boot
    rm -rf *2.6.29*
    if you dont have 2 kernels start here:

Code:
    cd /usr/src
    wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.32.4.tar.bz2
    tar xjvf linux-2.6.32.4.tar.bz2
    rm linux
    ln -s linux-2.6.32.4 linux
    chown -R root:root linux
    cd linux
    make oldconfig
    if you want to make some changes to the kernel
    Code:
    make menuconfig
    after you have made your changes or if you dont want to make any changes start building the kernel

Code:
    make
    make install
    make modules_install
    apt-get install initramfs-tools
    mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32.4 2.6.32.4
    update-grub
    reboot
    ok now you should be booting the 2.6.32.4 kernel, login as root again. im assuming you have a wired connection and know how to set it up. im working off memory but im pretty sure you only need git and git-core packages but if you need anything else bt4 will tell you about it thats how i found all the packages i needed for git.

Code:
    cd /root
    apt-get install git
    apt-get install git-core
    rmmod b43
    rmmod wl
    echo "blacklist wl" | tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    ok the next part is taken directly from wireless.kernel.org

Code:
    git clone http://git.bu3sch.de/git/b43-tools.git
    cd b43-tools/fwcutter
    make
    cd ..

wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4.tar.bz2
    tar xjf broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4.tar.bz2
    cd broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4/linux
    .. / .. /fwcutter/b43-fwcutter -w "$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR" wl_apsta.o
    ^^ remove the spaces between the .. / .. /
    had to add them because the forum doesn't like directory traversal in its code boxes. it was posting:
    cd broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4/fwcutter/b43-fwcutter -w "$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR" wl_apsta.o

ok now you should have 2.6.32.4 and the new broadcom firmware installed

Code:
    modprobe b43
    and that should do it, but lets check that putting the card into monitor mode works properly

look to see what your interface name is, mines wlan0
    Code:
    iwconfig
    airmon-ng start wlan0
    airodump-ng mon0
    if all that works, lets test injection

taken directly from air-crack's site:

Code:
    aireplay-ng -9 -e teddy -a 00:14:6C:7E:40:80 mon0
    -9 injection test
    -e teddy wireless network name
    -a 00:14:6c:7e:40:80 is the access point mac
    mon0 your wireless interface in monitor mode

The system should respond with:

09:23:35 Waiting for beacon frame (BSSID: 00:14:6C:7E:40:80) on channel 9
    09:23:35 Trying broadcast probe requests...
    09:23:35 Injection is working!
    09:23:37 Found 1 AP

09:23:37 Trying directed probe requests...
    09:23:37 00:14:6C:7E:40:80 - channel: 9 - 'teddy'
    09:23:39 Ping (min/avg/max): 1.827ms/68.145ms/111.610ms Power: 33.73
    09:23:39 30/30: 100%

The last line is important. Ideally it should say 100% or a very high percentage.
    If it is low then you are too far away from the AP or too close. If it is zero then injection
    is not working and you need to patch your drivers or use different drivers.

if there are no problems then your done and its time to do the happy dance.

edit:
    if you are having trouble with apt-get after updating and it says something like:

Setting up recode (3.6-15) ...
    install-info: unrecognized option '--description=Character set conversion utility.'
    Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.

this is a fairly well documented problem that is produced by having the GNU install-info in your path before the debian install-info and is easily fixed by the following:

Code:
    export PATH=/usr/sbin:$PATH
    apt-get -f install <package>
    Last edited by mrshrek; 03-15-2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: fixed tab completion error which resulted in sym link to archive not directory. added warning.. added fix for apt-get issue.

Just burned his ISO

MRSHREK! YOU ARE AWESOME! Finally my broadcom works. Thanks a bunch (although I still ended up buying a wl-167g, haha. but who cares now!

Anyway, Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrshrek View Post
    Small tutorial i wrote to get a BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01 - 14E4:4315) working properly ( injection and monitor )
    From what Ive seen posted in the past, a kernel upgrade in BT has always been discouraged as it breaks some things. Have you experienced any program issues/glitches. If it works without any hitches to the normal operation of BT4's other utilities then this should be thrown into the "How to's" or "FAQ" as this is a commonly asked question.

Just burned his ISO

i tried the patch which was on the ubuntu forums for 2.6.33 but the scripts were broken and the patch caused a kernel panick. i've found the default kernel works pretty well with the 14E4:4315 card.

i'm assuming your all logged in as root, if not su root or sudo.

if you have 2 kernels installed the boot partition usually isnt big enough for 3 so you need to cd /boot and the oldest one, but make SURE the one you leave boots properly so if there is any problems you can go back and fix it so lets say 2.6.29 is my oldest kernel and 2.6.30 is my newest.

Code:
    cd /boot
    rm -rf *2.6.29*
    if you dont have 2 kernels start here:

Code:
    cd /usr/src
    wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.32.4.tar.bz2
    tar xjvf linux-2.6.32.4.tar.bz2
    rm linux
    ln -s linux-2.6.32.4.tar.bz2 linux
    chown -R root:root linux
    cd linux
    make oldconfig
    if you want to make some changes to the kernel
    Code:
    make menuconfig
    after you have made your changes or if you dont want to make any changes start building the kernel

Code:
    make
    make install
    make modules_install
    apt-get install initramfs-tools
    mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32.4 2.6.32.4
    update-grub
    reboot
    ok now you should be booting the 2.6.32.4 kernel, login as root again. im assuming you have a wired connection and know how to set it up. im working off memory but im pretty sure you only need git and git-core packages but if you need anything else bt4 will tell you about it thats how i found all the packages i needed for git.

Code:
    cd /root
    apt-get install git
    apt-get install git-core
    rmmod b43
    rmmod wl
    echo "blacklist wl" | tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    ok the next part is taken directly from wireless.kernel.org

Code:
    git clone http://git.bu3sch.de/git/b43-tools.git
    cd b43-tools/fwcutter
    make
    cd ..

wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4.tar.bz2
    tar xjf broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4.tar.bz2
    cd broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4/linux
    ../../fwcutter/b43-fwcutter -w "$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR" wl_apsta.o
    ok now you should have 2.6.32.4 and the new broadcom firmware installed

Code:
    modprobe b43
    and that should do it, but lets check that putting the card into monitor mode works properly

look to see what your interface name is, mines wlan0
    Code:
    iwconfig
    airmon-ng start wlan0
    airodump-ng mon0
    if all that works, lets test injection

taken directly from air-crack's site:

Code:
    aireplay-ng -9 -e teddy -a 00:14:6C:7E:40:80 mon0
    -9 injection test
    -e teddy wireless network name
    -a 00:14:6c:7e:40:80 is the access point mac
    mon0 your wireless interface in monitor mode

The system should respond with:

09:23:35 Waiting for beacon frame (BSSID: 00:14:6C:7E:40:80) on channel 9
    09:23:35 Trying broadcast probe requests...
    09:23:35 Injection is working!
    09:23:37 Found 1 AP

09:23:37 Trying directed probe requests...
    09:23:37 00:14:6C:7E:40:80 - channel: 9 - 'teddy'
    09:23:39 Ping (min/avg/max): 1.827ms/68.145ms/111.610ms Power: 33.73
    09:23:39 30/30: 100%

The last line is important. Ideally it should say 100% or a very high percentage.
    If it is low then you are too far away from the AP or too close. If it is zero then injection
    is not working and you need to patch your drivers or use different drivers.

if there are no problems then your done and its time to do the happy dance.
    Sorry for quoting the whole thing.

But when I get to the step bolded above, when I try to "cd linux" there is no such thing. That's where I'm stuck. Could you help?

You know... Now that you said that if any of your programs stop working and you ask for more help the people wont feel obligated to help right? I'm glad you got the broadcom to work and everything (really, I have broadcom's on my computers. But I got an external WiFi for BT) and obviously you are good with Linux (Or know how to use Google really well) enough to patch a kernel.

Again, I'm really happy you were able to get it working, but don't be surprised if someone comes in here and asks for help because something doesn't work anymore, and no one wants to help them because they patched their kernel. (Example mbudden, who most likely didn't "cd Linux" with a capital L)
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
    But when I get to the step bolded above, when I try to "cd linux" there is no such thing. That's where I'm stuck. Could you help?
    upgrade to bt4 final, and the linux "directory" will be there.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by micole View Post
    Again, I'm really happy you were able to get it working, but don't be surprised if someone comes in here and asks for help because something doesn't work anymore, and no one wants to help them because they patched their kernel. (Example mbudden, who most likely didn't "cd Linux" with a capital L)
    Ah. I realized it after I made this comment. But me, I'm not really trying to use this for all the programs. It's more of an experiment for me.

Quote Originally Posted by xX_Spiidey_Xx View Post
    upgrade to bt4 final, and the linux "directory" will be there.
    Thanks. I have BT4 Final. What "micole" said above worked. I realized my mistake lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast