Thread: D-Link DWL-G550 - compatible or not ?

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation D-Link DWL-G550 - compatible or not ? [YES IT IS]

Hi all,

I'm looking forward to purchase a D-Link DWL-G550 to use with BackTrack ; AirCrack, Kismet, etc..

However, I found no reference of this adapter anywhere but in the Aircrack wiki in the compatibility section (hxxp://aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatibility_drivers&s=driver). Strange that the card is supposedly Atheros-based (AR5212 inside AR5002X) and it's not even mentionned on the chipset manufacturer's website (you know, the Atheros Communications Total 802.11 Product Search ?)

Anyone has this adapter ? Is it working well under BackTrack for packet reading and injection ? What about Windows ? (for compatibility's sake)

I'm about to choose between that one and the Alfa AWUSB036H.

Thanks in advance !

However, I found no reference of this adapter anywhere but in the Aircrack wiki in the compatibility section (hxxp://aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatibility_drivers&s=driver).
    If it is in the aircrack-ng wiki under the section for compatible cards I would feel pretty safe about getting it. The card has also been mentioned a few times on the forum and injection seems to be working fine with it.
    I'm about to choose between that one and the Alfa AWUSB036H.
    The Alfa 500mw (AWUS036H), I guess it is this one you are refering to even though the extra B, is used by many of the members on this forum and I have not read a bad word about it. I have been using it exclusively for some weeks now and have to say that the sensitivity and transmission power is second to no other card. Just use the search function and you will find plenty of posts about it.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Question

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    If it is in the aircrack-ng wiki under the section for compatible cards I would feel pretty safe about getting it. The card has also been mentioned a few times on the forum and injection seems to be working fine with it.

The Alfa 500mw (AWUS036H), I guess it is this one you are refering to even though the extra B, is used by many of the members on this forum and I have not read a bad word about it. I have been using it exclusively for some weeks now and have to say that the sensitivity and transmission power is second to no other card. Just use the search function and you will find plenty of posts about it.
    Hi Tron,

I did find many posts about the DWL-G550 but other than a few vague mentions by posters, I did not find anything useful. As for the Alfa, you're damn right. I was refering to the Alfa AWUS036H... my bad . I've already read many posts about this one.

Thanks for your comment but I'd like someone to testify it's working nicely and performs well.

I have a personal preference for PCI device since I have a desktop computer and I want my desk as uncluttered as possible. The antenna provided with the D-Link adapter also seems better (5 dBi) than the Alfa one (2 dBi). I don't want to spend an extra for a better antenna if the default one is fine.

Hi Tron,

As for the Alfa adapter, you were right ; I was refering to the Alfa AWUS036H. My bad

Now, about the D-Link DWL-G550, thanks for your comment but I'd like someone to testify it effectively works well under BackTrack for packet reading/injection.

I have a personal preference for the D-Link because of :

- The stock antenna (5 dBi for the D-Link vs 2 dBi for the Alfa ; don't want to spend an extra for a better antenna if 5 dBi is enough)
    - The PCI interfance (I want to keep my desk uncluttered)
    - The possibility to activate monitor mode (and packet injection in a possible future) in Windows. I like to have the choice, you see

What you guys think ?

Just burned his ISO

javs I tried a D-Link dwl-g510 pci card in my pc with bt3b and it was a useless. I know it's not the 550 but it was enough to make me realise the best thing to do is buy a card that is known to work.
    After the d-link I bought a Netgear WPN311 - just brilliant. I was steaming ahead with this card as soon as I bolted it in.
    Then I bought an EPI-3601S off ebay. This card was even better - higher sensitivity than the netgear (picked up more AP's) and getting it to work comprised simply bolting it in.
    Both of these latter cards installed in windows really easily as well.

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up

Hi tonjg,

I finally ordered a D-Link DWL-G550 on eBay for ~ 55 bucks, S&H included.

It has a nice external antenna and is reported by D-Link as « specifically designed for corporate environments ». Guess the range will be good. WPA/WPA2 support too.

According to aircrack-ng wiki, it's supported in both Linux and Windows so I bet it'll work as expected. Once I'll get it, I'll download BT3 final and try it out.

Until then, wait & see...

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation It Works !

Quote Originally Posted by javs1979 View Post
    Hi tonjg,

I finally ordered a D-Link DWL-G550 on eBay for ~ 55 bucks, S&H included.

It has a nice external antenna and is reported by D-Link as « specifically designed for corporate environments ». Guess the range will be good. WPA/WPA2 support too.

According to aircrack-ng wiki, it's supported in both Linux and Windows so I bet it'll work as expected. Once I'll get it, I'll download BT3 final and try it out.

Until then, wait & see...
    Hi all,

Two days ago I got my D-Link DWL-G550 (Atheros 5212 (AR5002X), PCI, sleek-looking external and replaceable antenna).

As a testbed I replaced BT3 with a wubi-installed Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. After the initial setup, I apt-got Aircrack-ng and Kismet.

It works like a charm. Using the madwifi drivers, I can inject packets at @ ~ 500 pps. Range is pretty good. I got 3 times as many APs as before, using a Linksys WMP300N (Broadcom chipset).

That is, I suggest this card to be added to the remote-exploit wiki as compatible. It's a good performer among other wireless adapters in this well-known brand. I'm surprised it's not already mentionned there...

Voilà

Just burned his ISO

Question Really works?

Hey guys , i have the same card as yours (Dlink DWL-G550) but i have some problems get it to work . First i didnt know this card worked with Bt so i was using a usb adapter in order to operate bt 2 and 3 .
    As i ve seen on compatibles cards list :

Code:
     Dlink DWL-G550

* Chipset : Atheros AR5212 (within AR5002X)
        * External Antenna: Yes, omni-directional dipole antenna with 5dBi
        * Works great out of the box.
    I said WHAT? my card works?

Anw , now my question is : How im going to get this card work , because when im trying to put it in monitor mode with airmon-ng it doesnt work

What im doing :

On bt3 usb iso :

Code:
    iwconfig
    lo        no wireless extensions.

wifi0     no wireless extensions.

ath0      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:""  Nickname:""
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
              Bit Rate:1 Mb/s   Tx-Power:15 dBm   Sensitivity=1/1
              Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=0/70  Signal level=-96 dBm  Noise level=-96 dBm
              Rx invalid nwid:88638  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

eth0      no wireless extensions.

rausb0    RT73 WLAN  ESSID:" "
              Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.412 GHz  Access Point: 
              Bit Rate=5.5 Mb/s
              RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:E5A3-D387-B5
              Link Quality=35/100  Signal level:-84 dBm  Noise level:-143 dBm
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
    Then
    Code:
    airmon-ng start ath0

Interface       Chipset         Driver

wifi0           Atheros         madwifi-ng
    ath0            Atheros         madwifi-ng VAP (parent: wifi0) (VAP cannot be put in monitor mode)
    rausb0          Ralink USB      rt73
    Ok if anyone know something about it please help me .

Thanks in advise
    cheers

Just burned his ISO

No one knows ? if anyone could help me please with this card?
    i Will appreciate it a lot

Thanks.

Just burned his ISO

for "supra rz" to put your card in monitor mode, instead of typin' "airmon-ng start ath0",
    try to type: airmon-ng start wifi0.... you'll get ath0 in mon mode..... that's how I do with my netgear (chipset atheros) card.

Danilo.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the info mate : ] . Got it to work btw