Thread: Is Encrpytion Hardware Related?

Default Is Encrpytion Hardware Related?

Is 802.11 encryption related to the hardware, or is it software/firmware?

For example: if I buy an old 802.11b access point that has only WEP, can it be flashed to be WPA/WPA2 compliant?

Actually, I'm looking to buy a Buffalo router and noticed it has WPA but not WPA2, and was just wondering if this could be upgraded to WPA2?

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/pr...-gain-antenna/

Any ideas? Thanks..

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by radioraiders View Post
    Is 802.11 encryption related to the hardware, or is it software/firmware?

For example: if I buy an old 802.11b access point that has only WEP, can it be flashed to be WPA/WPA2 compliant?

Actually, I'm looking to buy a Buffalo router and noticed it has WPA but not WPA2, and was just wondering if this could be upgraded to WPA2?

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/pr...-gain-antenna/

Any ideas? Thanks..
    Wouldn't this question be better asked of Buffalo Tech support, as they would have a definitive answer.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Wouldn't this question be better asked of Buffalo Tech support, as they would have a definitive answer.
    Well, I'm looking at several routers, this is one of them. Of course I could (and probably will) ask Buffalo tech support (altho I'm not a big fan of tech support ) I'm asking more of a gerneral question. If WPA2 usually needs a certain peice of hardware that's not generally found in WEP devices? Does anyone know?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Well, I'm looking at several routers, this is one of them. Of course I could (and probably will) ask Buffalo tech support (altho I'm not a big fan of tech support ) I'm asking more of a gerneral question. If WPA2 usually needs a certain peice of hardware that's not generally found in WEP devices? Does anyone know?
    That still does not explain why you are not going to the source to find out the information. You don't like "tech support" yet you came here for "tech support" ?!
    Here is the link to the contact page at Buffalo.
    http://www.buffalotech.com/contact/
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

So you'd rather ask a bunch of random people on the internet that may or may not give accurate information?

Just curious because I've never understood that mentality, after all, Tech support has no reason to give false information, and they would be the best ones to give accurate information. Whereas some random people are going to give opinion and hearsay.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

So you'd rather ask a bunch of random people on the internet that may or may not give accurate information?

Just curious because I've never understood that mentality, after all, Tech support has no reason to give false information, and they would be the best ones to give accurate information. Whereas some random people are going to give opinion and hearsay.
    Tech support tends to give alot of "cut-and-paste" answers wrapped in a bunch of "have-a-nice-days". The technical info can for sure be useful, but usually doesn't go beyond what I can allready read on their site. I prefer to ask of peoples experiences, which altho can sometimes be hearsay, is generally more useful to me.

Anyway, I'm contacting Buffalo tech support now. If anyone has any personal/practical experience of upgrading WEP hardware to WPA2 I'd be interested to hear about it.

Thanks.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

I agree, but people do this in all aspects of life so maybe this one is another lost cause.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.