Thread: John the Ripper

Just burned his ISO

Default John the Ripper

I tried to open "John" the Ripper from "K" menu\Backtrack\Priviledge Escalation\PasswordAttacks\PasswordOfflineAttacks\ John, and for a split second the Shell Konsole box opens up but then it closes. When I try to do the commands from just a plain shell konsole it still doesn't work properly because it isn't the John the Ripper program. I have tried both the Backtrack 3 ISO image and the VMWare image and both of them do the same thing. I have tried it on my Backtrack 2 VMWare image and it works like it is suppose to and gives me the passwords, so it must be a bug within Bactrack 3.

Quote Originally Posted by scmiller View Post
    I tried to open "John" the Ripper from "K" menu\Backtrack\Priviledge Escalation\PasswordAttacks\PasswordOfflineAttacks\ John, and for a split second the Shell Konsole box opens up but then it closes. When I try to do the commands from just a plain shell konsole it still doesn't work properly because it isn't the John the Ripper program. I have tried both the Backtrack 3 ISO image and the VMWare image and both of them do the same thing. I have tried it on my Backtrack 2 VMWare image and it works like it is suppose to and gives me the passwords, so it must be a bug within Bactrack 3.
    Please post the commands you're using, and the errors you're getting.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Like theprez says, which command are you running? If you ar trying to run start-john.sh either from the menu, or the command line, then you are correct. It's doesn't appear to be on the system. But, you should be able to cd /usr/local/john (or /usr/local/john-1.7.2) and run "john" there. You could even create your own "start-john.sh" with these commands.

Just burned his ISO

I ran into the same problem, and here is how I got mine working. If you go into the KDE menu editor (right-click the kde 'start' button), and navigate to where John is (Backtrack>Privilege Escalation>) you have to change the command to:

john;sudo -s

and the workpath should be like:

/usr/local/john/

make sure you check 'Enable launch feedback' and 'Run in terminal'

Then save and try it out. That should get it working from the KDE menu.