Thread: Networking Issue & Other Minor Issues

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question Networking Issue & Other Minor Issues

Hey guys,

I am still pretty new to Backtrack, and am having a few issues that i hope you can help me out with. I seem to be having issues with getting into wicd to connect to a wireless or wired network for that matter. This used to be working, however i was playing around a bit cracking our 128 bit WEP key at my office for security reasons, and ever since then, backtrack wont seem to start wicd or my network connection. This is my major concern out of all of my issues.

Also, another issue i am having is getting applications via the CLI with the syntax apt-get. I have tried to do an apt-get install dist-upgrade, as well as apt-get install upgrade, apt-get install update, but i seem to be getting some errors. (This was all before my networking issue, when my network connections were working). I have all of the repo's selected within the software sources. I am trying to install iperf for throughput testing, as we use it very frequently at my work.

One more very minor thing, i was playing around with customization, and selected something which puts a (mac os - like) toolbar on the top of the screen. This toolbar takes place of the file menu within applications. I would like to take this off, but cant remember what i did to select it .

I would like most to get most of these issues worked out before i make backtrack my primary work OS.

ANY help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Ben

Default Re: Networking Issue & Other Minor Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Killians31 View Post
    I seem to be having issues with getting into wicd to connect to a wireless or wired network for that matter. This used to be working, however i was playing around a bit cracking our 128 bit WEP key at my office for security reasons, and ever since then, backtrack wont seem to start wicd or my network connection.
    What have you done to start WICD? Because just clicking on WICD in the BT menu won't work.

Also, another issue i am having is getting applications via the CLI with the syntax apt-get. I have tried to do an apt-get install dist-upgrade, as well as apt-get install upgrade, apt-get install update, but i seem to be getting some errors.
    You've got the syntax all wrong. "apt-get install <something>" is used when you want to install a program, like vlc (apt-get install vlc). If you want to update/upgrade/dist-upgrade:
    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    One more very minor thing, i was playing around with customization, and selected something which puts a (mac os - like) toolbar on the top of the screen. This toolbar takes place of the file menu within applications. I would like to take this off, but cant remember what i did to select it .
    You're just being lazy... Open BT4 control panel and look for the option.

I would like most to get most of these issues worked out before i make backtrack my primary work OS.
    From what I've seen in this post, maybe you should re-think that move. Ubuntu sounds better for now, move on when you feel more comfortable. This is my advice.

Just burned his ISO

I have been using the command start-network from the terminal to get the network started, which used to bring up wicd in the toolbar. Even when i click on the wicd application, or type wicd in the task launcher, nothing comes up.

it looks like i mistyped the syntax on the apt-get upgrade and update and dist-upgrade, i was running the pre-final edition of backtrack prior to the release of the final. I used these commands to upgrade my system. I was debating on just doing a fresh installation, but i wanted to see if the upgrade would work first.

I currently am running windows seven, snow leopard, ubuntu, fedora, and backtrack. I am defiantly much more familiar with the newer versions of ubuntu gnome, which can always be a fallback option for me if i get stuck in backtrack, but like i said i am still learning much of backtrack.

p.s. i loaded up the live dvd this morning to see if it was my laptop, or something i have broken within the operating system, but i was unable to load up wicd as well.

Thanks for your help

Just burned his ISO

Try the following: airmon-ng stop wlan0 (thats if your wireless interface is wlan0) not sure if this command is needed, i just had issues with my card

then: start-network wlan0

then open Wicd Manager

I have been using the command start-network from the terminal to get the network started, which used to bring up wicd in the toolbar. Even when i click on the wicd application, or type wicd in the task launcher, nothing comes up.
    Before startx, run "/etc/init.d/wicd start". If you want WICD to start automatically every time you boot up BT4, type "update-rc.d wicd defaults" after the previous command.

it looks like i mistyped the syntax on the apt-get upgrade and update and dist-upgrade, i was running the pre-final edition of backtrack prior to the release of the final. I used these commands to upgrade my system. I was debating on just doing a fresh installation, but i wanted to see if the upgrade would work first.
    I believe you will be greeted with some error messages. Best move would be a fresh install.

Just burned his ISO

Tablechukka

Re: Networking Issue & Other Minor Issues
    Try the following: airmon-ng stop wlan0 (thats if your wireless interface is wlan0) not sure if this command is needed, i just had issues with my card

then: start-network wlan0

then open Wicd Manager
    I have tried this method before with no success, thanks for the tip though!

Before startx, run "/etc/init.d/wicd start". If you want WICD to start automatically every time you boot up BT4, type "update-rc.d wicd defaults" after the previous command.
    I currently have start-network set up to start as soon as i boot into BT4, i tried this method as well, but unsuccessful.

During my initial boot up, all of the POST tests pass fine, except i do get an error:

'starting DHCP server: dhcpd3* check syslog for diagnostics'
    'failed!'

I looked in my system log (/var/log/log), but i was really able to distinguish what the exact error was. Have you ever seen this before?

Thanks again!

Hey guys, i seem to be having some issues with getting my internet connection up and running in backtrack.

During my initial boot, i receive an error which states:
    Code:
    DHCP server: dhcp3 failed!
    Check syslog for diagnostics
    I did a bit of debugging from the command line, however i seem to be stumped at this point.

When i initially boot, i perform the ifconfig command, and all i see is the lo address listed.

I then performed the ifconfig wlan0 up command, and i will see all of my interfaces when doing ifconfig again.

When i perform the '/etc/init.d/dhcp3-server restart' command i get this output:
    Code:
    Stopping DHCP server: dhcpd3 failed!
    Starting DHCP server: dhcp3* check syslog for diagnostics.
    failed!
    Looking into my syslog, i am seeing the following errors when performing the above command:
    Code:
    Mar 25 05:48:04 bt dhcpd: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.1.1
    Mar 25 05:48:04 bt dhcpd: Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
    Mar 25 05:48:04 bt dhcpd: All rights reserved.
    Mar 25 05:48:04 bt dhcpd: For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
    Mar 25 05:48:04 bt dhcpd: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.1.1
    Mar 25 05:48:04 bt dhcpd: Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
    Mar 25 05:48:04 bt dhcpd: All rights reserved.
    Mar 25 05:48:04 bt dhcpd: For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
    Mar 25 05:48:04 bt dhcpd: Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
    Mar 25 05:48:04 bt dhcpd:
    Mar 25 05:48:04 bt dhcpd: Not configured to listen on any interfaces!
    I did a bit of poking around in the /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf and dhclient.conf file, but wasnt too sure what to look for.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ben
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 03-24-2010 at 08:22 PM.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Do not start a new post on the same topic. Use the edit button.

As for your "problem"
    Code:
    ]Mar 25 05:48:04 bt dhcpd: Not configured to listen on any interfaces!
    This part seems pretty relevant to me. Now would be a good idea to check the thread in the how-to section on getting networking started in BT.