Thread: why many methods to start networking ?!

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default why many methods to start networking ?!

Hi all.

I found that the easiest method to start networking in bt4 is "start-network" but in most guides regarding how to start networking in bt4 I see "/etc/init.d/networking start". I think I've also seen other methods to start networking in bt4.

my nub questions are:

1. what is the difference between the 2 methods I mentioned (besides the fact the "/etc/init.d/networking start" takes longer)?

2. I know that bt4 is meant to be as silent as possible, but if the isn't available from the start then how can you pentest a network ?!

thanks in advance for helping me learn.

Default Re: why many methods to start networking ?!

Quote Originally Posted by code1101 View Post
    Hi all.

I found that the easiest method to start networking in bt4 is "start-network" but in most guides regarding how to start networking in bt4 I see "/etc/init.d/networking start". I think I've also seen other methods to start networking in bt4.

my nub questions are:

1. what is the difference between the 2 methods I mentioned (besides the fact the "/etc/init.d/networking start" takes longer)?

2. I know that bt4 is meant to be as silent as possible, but if the isn't available from the start then how can you pentest a network ?!

thanks in advance for helping me learn.
    I think "start-network" is just a script to /etc/init.d/networking start, but I could be wrong. As for #2, you want the network to start when you want it to, not when the laptop starts up. Maybe you want to do a little, or a lot of passive sniffing first? It's better to have to remember to turn on the network than turn it off.

hi,

first do some homework: open a terminal

Code:
    whereis start-network
    cat /usr/bin/start-network
    man wicd
    so start-network will use the wicd daemon and from there all network configuration is done
    through the Wicd Network Manager KDE app.

/etc/init.d/networking is the usual way to start the network, especially through Linux runlevel usage.
    configuration files are located in: /etc/network/*

Usually, for any new Linux users, get familiar with manual enabling network interfaces, using ifconfig
    and dhclient3 and/or manual DNS settings in /etc/resolv.conf !

Also wicd conflicts sometimes with other tools, so better that YOU have full control about your (manual) network settings!

/brtw2003
    Last edited by brtw2003; 02-11-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    you want the network to start when you want it to, not when the laptop starts up. Maybe you want to do a little, or a lot of passive sniffing first? It's better to have to remember to turn on the network than turn it off.
    so you can sniff the network even though you didn't enable networking in bt4. I thought that I couldn't make any use of the wired or wireless interfaces I have if I didn't enable them first.

@brtw: your explanation was good enough but I'll do as you suggested and read more into it.

thank you guys for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by code1101 View Post
    so you can sniff the network even though you didn't enable networking in bt4. I thought that I couldn't make any use of the wired or wireless interfaces I have if I didn't enable them first.
    of course interface must be in an 'active' state, but you don't need any IP configuration to start sniffing
    So a simple 'ifconfig eth0 up' for example is enough to start sniffing with tcpdump or tshark,
    like 'tshark -i eth0'

/brtw2003
    Last edited by brtw2003; 02-11-2010 at 10:50 PM.

you cant use that option from servisec-start networking before you type in startx. Like if you want to install something in text mode you need to use /etc/init.d/networking start.

Just burned his ISO

@brtw: I understand now. you can use the interface but you don't need an IP address to start sniffing.

@halfdone: I know what you mean (like installing nvidia or ati drivers which must be done outside of x)

ty guys my questions are fully answered.

next time I'll man more before asking

There's a good book that helped me how to RTFM first and all this kind of stuff that you must try before asking: "Intoduction to Linux" written by Machtelt Garrels. Actually the book it's a whole walkthrough for Linux OS, very handy and a "must read" for Linux beginners.
    Great minds have purposes, others have wishes