Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to run BT3 Final within Windows, without rebooting

Just burned his ISO

*cough* Xen *cough*

I found that this method is great for everything except wireless pentesting.

I can do everything else and to top it off I can channel all my activities through my Vodafone 3G!!!. All I need to do is boot into BT3 when I need to fondle with my WiFi AP at work and at home.

Thanx SeRGiNaToR

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

I'm getting a
    fatal server error:
    xf860OpenConsole: Cannot Open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)
    when i try to startx using this method.

I rechecked the md5 and the .iso is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Huegel View Post
    thank you very much
    How many more "thank you very much" posts are you going to do??
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    I'm getting a

when i try to startx using this method.

I rechecked the md5 and the .iso is good.
    Which option did you first use when booting BT3? Did you edit the boot entry as the first post suggests?

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BTuser3 View Post
    Which option did you first use when booting BT3? Did you edit the boot entry as the first post suggests?
    I booted into the persistant changes and edited the boot entry accordingly. I figure its probably just the wrong hd location "/dev/hda1" I wiped that drive out but if you want I could reinstall and troubleshoot it further just for the sake others.

Default Great work!

Hi BTuser3,

I didn't try the tutorial yet. But I am positive it will work! Thanks a lot BTuser3! I was researching the same thing last month, but I didn't had the time to get into it elaborately. (I made a start with PortableApps and VMware player.)

Big advantage what I was searching for is that you don't need admin privileges. If I look to it out of pen-testing view, the advantage of this method is obvious. You can still run your security tools on a hardened workstation, with usb, cd/dvd boot options disabled. That's great for making a point during pen-tests that it's possible for users to run unauthorized applications. In that regard it's less interesting that wireless doesn't work, since for wireless pen-testing any node can be used for making a point.

Kind regards,

Macamba

Quote Originally Posted by macamba View Post
    Hi BTuser3,

I didn't try the tutorial yet. But I am positive it will work! Thanks a lot BTuser3! I was researching the same thing last month, but I didn't had the time to get into it elaborately. (I made a start with PortableApps and VMware player.)

Big advantage what I was searching for is that you don't need admin privileges. If I look to it out of pen-testing view, the advantage of this method is obvious. You can still run your security tools on a hardened workstation, with usb, cd/dvd boot options disabled. That's great for making a point during pen-tests that it's possible for users to run unauthorized applications. In that regard it's less interesting that wireless doesn't work, since for wireless pen-testing any node can be used for making a point.

Kind regards,

Macamba
    Glad you found and liked the tutorial

Remember also: you can put all this on a folder on your USB stick, and on that same stick, you can throw BT3 and make it bootable as well. That way you have both BT3 "methods" on the same USB stick, and with rebooting you can use all the wireless capabilities for a complete pen-testing solution.

The main reason I tried BT3 using windows without rebooting is this scenario: You are at work, on a Windows OS, without admin privileges, and you do not have access to another machine, but at the same time would like to test some security related stuff rapidly on a Linux box for your work related activities.. Also, you dont want to reboot endless times, and you dont want to install VMware player on that work machine. add to that you need Bt3 with the least space possible on your USB stick.

Just burned his ISO

Hmmm...

it can be portable but what if iam going to access on the Lan. it needs to install the Tap adapter for qemu right? and use bridging

i cant run ettercap :/

Default Portable BT3

Tried it this weekend and works great with and without admin privileges, although without admin privileges it's very slow.

Also the internal wireless card of my Lenovo T61 notebook was recognized and working. I have only not tested it with wireless hacking/ injection yet, but I will try soon. I also still have to test my external wireless Proxim card.

Keep you informed.

Macamba

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast