Thread: BackTrack 3 and Wireless USB Stich with Realtek 8187

Just burned his ISO

Default BackTrack 3 and Wireless USB Stich with Realtek 8187

hello and good day,

its not a hacking question!

are there some know issues between backtrack 3 and a no name wireless usb 2.0 stick with a realtek 8187 chipset.

1.can establish a connection with a wireless router with no encryption
    2.can establish a connectionw with a wireless router with wep encryption
    3.but cannot establish a connection with a wireless router
    with wpa or wpa2 encryption

i spend the last days several hours in this forum
    and found some interest things about this.

the tutorials frm Xploitz are very helpful but no solving
    my issue. i followed the instructions regarding wpa_supplicant step by step, but no chance at all.

so my question is, which -D option must bve used
    (wext, atmel, etc....) in the wpa_supplicant syntax

can somebody please advise.
    tia
    f4nm4n

Just burned his ISO Lex_Talionis's Avatar

I have the same problem except i'm using a usb alfa 500mw i'll keep searching the forums because this is the preferred chipset/product and i cant figure out why it wont work for me.

As far as I know the rt8187 driver does not support WPA/WPA2 so you have to use ndiswrapper to be able to connect to these networks. Ndiswrapper on the other hand does not support monitor mode so to get back into that you need to re-load the rt8187 driver instead.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO Lex_Talionis's Avatar

Ok now i'm really confused, I thought the alfa 500mw did it all and natively to boot! But if I read you right it does one but not the other. Do you have any suggestions as to a better usb wireless nic?. This really sucks...whats the point of scanning only wep? when its only 1out3 possible protocols. At least you confirmed my sanity because i knew i was doing things right now i find out the card is kind of lame. Thank you.

Ps. Just got this sorted out in the chan... in my haste i made bad assumptions that i could do both listen and connect at the same time...rookie mistake. I know what to do now thanks to the guys in the irc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Talionis View Post
    Ok now i'm really confused, I thought the alfa 500mw did it all and natively to boot! But if I read you right it does one but not the other. Do you have any suggestions as to a better usb wireless nic?. This really sucks...whats the point of scanning only wep? when its only 1out3 possible protocols. At least you confirmed my sanity because i knew i was doing things right now i find out the card is kind of lame. Thank you.

Ps. Just got this sorted out in the chan... in my haste i made bad assumptions that i could do both listen and connect at the same time...rookie mistake. I know what to do now thanks to the guys in the irc.
    It seems like you sorted out your misconception yourself, but for anybody else reading I just want to clear it up.

You can naturally scan, crack and inject to both WEP and WPA/WPA2 encrypted APs using the rt8187 driver and the Alfa 500mw card. It is only to actually connect to a WPA encrypted AP that you will have to change to ndiswrapper and this is not that much of a hassle, a mere annoyance at most. And I believe that most people that have tried out this card will agree with me on that it is not by any means ”kind of lame”.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    It seems like you sorted out your misconception yourself, but for anybody else reading I just want to clear it up.

You can naturally scan, crack and inject to both WEP and WPA/WPA2 encrypted APs using the rt8187 driver and the Alfa 500mw card. It is only to actually connect to a WPA encrypted AP that you will have to change to ndiswrapper and this is not that much of a hassle, a mere annoyance at most. And I believe that most people that have tried out this card will agree with me on that it is not by any means ”kind of lame”.
    Hi Tron,
    because I have the same problem, could you tell us how to switch from rtl8187 driver to ndiswrapper?
    Does it exist a script to do this job?
    Thanks very much for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmar View Post
    Hi Tron,
    because I have the same problem, could you tell us how to switch from rtl8187 driver to ndiswrapper?
    Does it exist a script to do this job?
    Thanks very much for your help.
    Well I have not personally tried this out so can not vouch for how well it works, but you could give it a try anyway if you feel the need for a automation of the process.
    https://launchpad.net/auto-ndiswrapprer

Just burned his ISO

thanks for the info