Thread: Availability of sources for BT3

Just burned his ISO

Default Availability of sources for BT3

Hi

Where can I find the source code for the BT3 distribution? Since this is based on a lot of GPL-ed tools, packages and scripts (originating from Slackware and SLAX among others), compliancy with the GPL License requires that you make all source code, all scripts and all the tools that were used to generate the content of the live-CD available on the _same_ server(s) that host the ISO images for BT3.

So far I have not seen any source code or script at all. When will BackTrack be compliant with the requirements of the GPL License?

Regards, Eric

All of the GPL'd programs used within BackTrack maintain their own source code (usually on their own website)

The customised BT kernel source is available.
    The source is included with the USB version of BT3. It is also available on the public wiki.

Just burned his ISO

I am sorry, but the GPL requires you to host your _own_ copy of every source file, and scripts you used to build the binary code from those sources, on the _same_ server where you offer the binaries for download. You can not rely on others (notably Slackware and it's mirrors) to host these sources and pay money for bandwidth usage. You are in violation of the GPL at this moment for not offering all source code and build scripts on your server and mirrors.

I think this is an awkward situation, after reading on the Remote Exploit web site that you will allow commercials in BT4. Furthermore, you state on the same web page:
    If you use BackTrack commercially, you are required to send us a generous donation by karmic law
    You have the definite intention of making money out of BackTrack. Therefore, I rely on your own ethics to make an official statement regarding the time you need to become compliant to the requirements of the GPL license.

Regards, Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
    I am sorry, but the GPL requires you to host your _own_ copy of every source file, and scripts you used to build the binary code from those sources, on the _same_ server where you offer the binaries for download. You can not rely on others (notably Slackware and it's mirrors) to host these sources and pay money for bandwidth usage. You are in violation of the GPL at this moment for not offering all source code and build scripts on your server and mirrors.

I think this is an awkward situation, after reading on the Remote Exploit web site that you will allow commercials in BT4. Furthermore, you state on the same web page:

You have the definite intention of making money out of BackTrack. Therefore, I rely on your own ethics to make an official statement regarding the time you need to become compliant to the requirements of the GPL license.

Regards, Eric
    First of all, I suggest to you that making demands of other people is probably not the best way to go about doing business. Both of your posts in this thread have been pretty heavy-handed. This method will only serve to piss people off, which I'm pretty sure is not your intent.

Second of all, your determination of someone's supposed violation of the GPL really makes no difference to me or anyone. Unless I am mistaken, you are not a judge or a court (or even a lawyer, unless you're claiming to be one), so your legal opinion doesn't carry much weight.

Third, I just read the GPL here. Would you mind pointing out where in GPLv3 it requires someone to host original sources/scripts on the same server? Perhaps you are confusing GPLv3 with GPLv2.

Fourth, the GPL explicitly allows one to charge anything or nothing, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make about making money. In any case, you obviously missed the humor intended by "karmic law".

Lastly, if you have problems with BT3 in regards to the GPL, you need to speak directly with the developers. We who maintain the forums are not the developers, just volunteers who run the forums in our spare time.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Hi Eric,

Thanks for getting our attention to this.

A few notes:

1) BackTrack is not a distribution, but a linux live CD
    2) The build scripts are available at slax.org
    3) the kernel source is available online
    4) We feel no need to mirror every single tool we use on the live cd. We feel that this is enough.
    5) Our scipts can be found freely on the BackTrack liveCD.
    6) unfortunately, karmic law does not hold in court. I wish it did though.
    7) If you would like to have some constructive communications, please contact the development team directly.