Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Install BT3 live onto flash, save changes, with compiz

I've just checked, and although the syslinux.cfg file is smaller in the cd version (because of the lack of compiz modes) the file is not empty. I would suggest opening the file in notepad as a test, even though wordpad should open it better than notepad. With Nano, if you have not specified the path or have not changed to the directory, it will assume you are opening a new file, hence it is blank. Also you should check the md5 of the iso to be sure it is not corrupt.

Just burned his ISO

ive tried it with both the usb and the cd version and it still comes out with an empty cfg file. Ive even redownloaded the usb version and the same thing. maybe I should try using a different program to open the iso. The syslinux.cfg file reads 0 kb for file size and i have opened it in wordpad and notepad and in linux with it on the file directory. so i may just try to redownload it and use a different program to open the iso file.

Ok i checked the md5 and it came out to E342268C74DA8FE6A65A003FA3304EA8. So obviously the md5 is wrong. I downloaded it from remotes website so does that mean someone uploaded a bad file or did the file get corrupt while i was downloading it?

Default on /sdXX/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg

i dont know if my post will still matter... but what i usually do when i edit my syslinux.cfg, i use "kwrite" to load the file syslinux.cfg then press F10 to enable the word wrap so avoiding the truncated line

hth
    XP.sp3 | BT3F | 8GB SDHC 2GB RAM
    Asus EEE PC 701B
    bagito | manila pride :D

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
    in the middle of the boot backtrack tells me to hit ctrl-alt-delete to reboot...
    I have the same problem.
    The error says "can't setup union (aufs)".
    I edited the syslinux.cfg several times but still get the same error.

I made the USB install an my 4GB stick according to balding_parrots guide. I changed the syslinux conf like stated here. It now looks like this:

LABEL eeepc
    MENU LABEL Eeepc save changes
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND changes=/dev/sdb3 vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw chexpand=255

LABEL compiz
    MENU LABEL BT3 with Compiz and persistent changes
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw chexpand=255 load=cubez autoexec=xconf;cubez;startx changes=/dev/sdb3

Hope you can help me to find out whats wrong.

edit:
    I found out that there hase to be a folder called "changes" in partition sdb3.
    Now it starts without error and it saves changes.
    [center]Bachelor professionel - computer systems and computer networks
    Cisco CCNA semester 1-4 completed[/center]

hmmm... wondering if I did something wrong. I'm using the following edit in my syslinux.cfg

LABEL eeepc
    MENU LABEL Eeepc save changes
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND changes=/dev/sda1 vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw chexpand=255

I actually had to change "changes=/dev/sda1" to (changes=/sda1) and it boots fine, but maybe I'm not understanding the whole save changes. I thought that if I was to save a folder, document, etc. on the desktop it should save it there the next time I booted back up, but it doesn't save anything like that.

Is this save changes just more or less configuration changes only? I'm running on an 8GB SD card in an eeepc 701.

Thanks in advance.

Just burned his ISO

Default reply about changes with asus eee pc with or without compiz

ive put bt3 on my eee pc with changes and the way it works on mine is if i boot into persistent changes instead of kde. If i put a file on my desktop and save it its still there if i boot into persistent changes again so is my favourites ect but when i boot into that compiz doesnt work. Is there something i can do to get compiz working when i boot in to persistent changes aswell. Instead of booting into compiz and not being able to save anything as i have it on a 8gb micro card. could someone show me a link or tell me how to do it if it can be done please. Also im looking for info on how to set up how to send email with bt3 to do clientside attack i know how to do it all apart from how to get it to send the email to all the email addresses in emails.txt. Any help would be greatly appreciated or links tutorials ect.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by cossworth View Post
    ive put bt3 on my eee pc with changes and the way it works on mine is if i boot into persistent changes instead of kde. If i put a file on my desktop and save it its still there if i boot into persistent changes again so is my favourites ect but when i boot into that compiz doesnt work. Is there something i can do to get compiz working when i boot in to persistent changes aswell. Instead of booting into compiz and not being able to save anything as i have it on a 8gb micro card. could someone show me a link or tell me how to do it if it can be done please. Also im looking for info on how to set up how to send email with bt3 to do clientside attack i know how to do it all apart from how to get it to send the email to all the email addresses in emails.txt. Any help would be greatly appreciated or links tutorials ect.
    I suppose you need to add a new compiz_with_changes entry cloning the one you use when booting and adding 'APPEND changes=' to point to the partition device you have on the kde_with_changes.

Quote Originally Posted by brad8299 View Post
    ive tried it with both the usb and the cd version and it still comes out with an empty cfg file. Ive even redownloaded the usb version and the same thing. maybe I should try using a different program to open the iso. The syslinux.cfg file reads 0 kb for file size and i have opened it in wordpad and notepad and in linux with it on the file directory. so i may just try to redownload it and use a different program to open the iso file.

Ok i checked the md5 and it came out to E342268C74DA8FE6A65A003FA3304EA8. So obviously the md5 is wrong. I downloaded it from remotes website so does that mean someone uploaded a bad file or did the file get corrupt while i was downloading it?
    I have the same problem... i open the syslinux.cfg file but it's empty... i tryed to use notepad and wordpad... nothing to do.
    I downloaded it from remotes website too...
    Did you solve the problem?

Thx a lot

Default Minimum flash size?

What is the minimum flash size to install BT3?
    Will it fit on a 1G flash? (I've found one at home )

Thank you.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thedp View Post
    What is the minimum flash size to install BT3?
    Will it fit on a 1G flash? (I've found one at home )

Thank you.
    Yeah you could run bt3 on a 1 gig but your not gonna have a lot of room for much else.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast